//some 3rd party need geo

Lan/ Ethernet ?

Grandad D 21:46 17 Mar 03

Hi, My new motherboard has Lan built in. My old computer has an Ethernet card. Are these the same thing, If so do I just need a cable to connect them or do I need extra hardware? Thanks, Dennis

friedegg 21:55 17 Mar 03

Yep, Basically the same thing. Go get that cable!
Bob

Pilch.... 21:57 17 Mar 03

LAN is a general type of network connection

Ethernet is a type of connection for LAN.

All you need is a crossover cable with RJ-45 connections and then you can connect them.

What Operating System do you have and we can help you network them

hugh-322546 22:02 17 Mar 03

Yes, to both questions. You need a 'cat 5 cross-over' cable to connect to the 2 network cards. It comes in different made up lengths and you can get it at PC World, Maplins etc.(even B & Q, I was told in PC who were OS.If you have Windows XP, it's straighforward, using the wizard to make a floppy to set up any non xp system. I've proved any novice can do it!
Hugh

Grandad D 22:12 17 Mar 03

Hi, The new one is XP pro. The old one is Win ME but I may install Win 98 on this instead. Ta, Dennis

The PC Doctor 22:21 17 Mar 03

Just a quick note here Grandad D I've recently moved from Win98se to Windows 2000.

I found that the Win2000 PC's could see the Win98se PC's but not the other way round due to the different protocols.

You may have to Map A Network Drive from the Win98 PC to see the XP PC.

Grandad D 22:22 17 Mar 03

Hi, Will this do me? click here

The PC Doctor 22:28 17 Mar 03

No you need a cross over cable like this

click here

The PC Doctor 22:34 17 Mar 03

Sorry the link didn't Work....

Use the link and goto Computers > Network Cables and look for the Cross over Cables - that's the type you need.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…