LAN Connection displays Unknown

Woodmouse 10:58 07 Feb 05

Two computers. One has Windows XP Professional, no internet and no firewall. The other has Windows XP Home, Internet connection, Zone Alarm (Showing the other computer in the Trusted Zone), Windows Firewall (Exceptions tab and ticked 'File and Printer Sharing). The Windows XP Home computer displays both networked computers OK, but the Windows XP Prof computer displays 'Unknown' against the other computer. The LAN cable is new and has worked OK before, and the IP Address and sub-settings have been doubled checked.

igk 12:49 07 Feb 05

Put Zone Alarm on your win xp pro computer and then put the win xp home in its trusted zone,both should then "see" each other.You cannot just have one pc Zone Alarmed.Also if you intend using your winxp pro pc onto the internet you must have antivirus and Zone Alarm on it.Hope this helps.

igk 12:52 07 Feb 05

As an addition to my last: Dump the win xp firewall it is pretty much a waste of time as it does not stop/check outgoing traffic/nasties that you may have already on your pc from phoning home,just use Zone Alarm.

Woodmouse 13:15 07 Feb 05

I will try that when I get home . . . .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…