lan

menorcarob2 22:44 10 Jan 03
  menorcarob2 22:44 10 Jan 03

when i power on my desktop win me(server) and my laptop xp pro(client) they can sometimes see one another and share the internet and other times i have to run the network setup wizard on the server machine any ideas what this is.

spaciousmonti 23:29 10 Jan 03

Yes Win me is crap and has a short memory.
You need to map the network drive with the -p extension to make it permanent, but this doesnt work with win me cos its crap. Sorry, truth hurts.
Get a copy of XP on your server, email me and I can tell you how to use one xp disc for two pcs.

Paranoid Android 23:35 10 Jan 03

What you probably have is a peer-to-peer network rather than a client-server.

Sometimes WinME can take a long time to recognise the presence of a network connection. WinXP is much better at network resource management and tends to connect faster.

Sometime it can help to have a mapped drive set up on the WinME machine (mapping to a physical drive on the WinXP machine) to force a connection when you start up. Other than that, I suspect this is something you will just have to live with.

My long term suggestion would be to ditch WinME and get Win2000 or WinXP but that's just personal.

Marvin.

Paranoid Android 23:36 10 Jan 03

Crossed ......

menorcarob2 13:00 15 Jan 03

would it make any difference which machine was powered up first

recap 13:08 15 Jan 03

menorcarob2, the Higher spec machine should be used as the server. Boot the server up first, if you boot the client up first then it will not be connected to the network, and therefore you will not be able to get the resources you may require from the server.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…