Lack of space on HD

amonra 14:33 24 Dec 08

My two grand-daughters have come down from uni for the Xmas holidays, both with laptop problems.
The one I think I can can sort out with a memory upgrade, but the other, I dont know where to start!
It's a Lenovo 8922 with a 33GB(?) HD and the System (XP) keeps telling her there is no more room on the HD for installing anything else.
I've done a brief check on what files have got what on them, but the biggest I can find are around 400MB each, totalling 5GB max. Adding everything up that still leave a HUGE amount of space unaccounted for. Can someone please point me in the right direction for locating these vast unknown files ?
PS Merry Xmas all.............

Technotiger 14:43 24 Dec 08

It sounds like a 40Gb Drive, it is quite normal not to actually 'see' all 40Gb some of which is used by the System.

Hover the mouse cursor over the drive's icon in My Computer then tell us what you see - it should show Amount Used and Amount Free.

Belatucadrus 14:49 24 Dec 08

Difficult to guess what it is, but I'd start by running Local disk properties / Disk Cleanup. then trying to install these two:-
WinDirStat click here
& CCleaner click here
I'd also check all security software was updated and run.

Technotiger 14:55 24 Dec 08

Also, right-click on the drive's icon and then on Properties, see whether it is formatted FAT32 or NTFS.

palinka 15:17 24 Dec 08

Belatucadrus & Technotiger know far more about the technical stuff than I do but a thought occurs to me - what have they got on their HDs? How about putting some of it onto CD or DVD and deleting from the HD (at least temporarily). A friend of mine had a problem with space which we cured by moving her millions (well, I exaggerate, but it seemed like that)of photographs to disks & deleting from the HD and after that all was OK.

Clapton is God 15:25 24 Dec 08

It's amazing how much space you can gain by turning off System Restore.

You'll lose all your restore points but another one will be created when you turn it back on.

My younger daughter came home from Uni with her laptop and by turning System Restore off I immediately gained 13GB for her.

amonra 16:19 24 Dec 08

Thanks for all your input,

Technotiger---It is a 40G disc using NFTS, with Amount Used-34.4Gb Free space 768 Mb

You can see now why I am puzzling where the heck has it all gone ?

Belatuctarus----- I cant instal anything more, the damn thing says Full Up !!!

Clapton --- I'll do that, but 13 MB is a drop in the ocean.

All replies gratefully received.

Technotiger 16:31 24 Dec 08

Looks as if you will need to un-install some of the items on the drive. Is there any Video Clips or similar which could be removed - video and photos can take up a lot of room. How much course work etc?

rdave13 16:39 24 Dec 08

If you can make room for a 102K download then SpaceMonger should show you what's on the Hdd.
click here

amonra 16:43 24 Dec 08

Technotiger
I have managed to instal the Windirstat program and I can now see two vast files of about 9Gb so I think a bit of uninstalling is called for.
If uninstalling is a no-no, how can I fit a new bigger HD and transfer everything across ?
I'm OK with desktops but never played much with laptops. Thanks again..............

Technotiger 16:46 24 Dec 08

Best way is to use a external Hard drive or one in an Enclosure, which will connect via USB.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video