Lack of Ram

dp600 09:05 08 Jan 06

I am trying to run a programme and I am getting the error mess that I have not enough RAM to run the programme shut down some running programs and try again.I am running nothing else and it still will not run.Is there any way of telling what is using all my Ram.Win xp with 768 ram.Also my hard drive is nearly full.
Thank You
Dave.

Gongoozler 09:10 08 Jan 06

Hi Dave. Are you sure that it's lack of RAM that your computer is reporting, and not virtual memory. I find that when the hard drive is more than 75% full, Windows starts giving problems. How nearly full is your hard drive. With new hard drives costing only about £30 for 40G and under £60 for 160G click here, a new hard drive is not too expensive. If you fit the new drive as slave and use it for storing all your documents and pictures, then fitting it is quite a simple task.

dp600 09:42 08 Jan 06

Yes it is saying lack of Ram"There is not enough memory RAM to Launch"My hard drive is 39.3 used 17.3 left.

Diodorus Siculus 09:45 08 Jan 06

What program is it?

Try rebooting and also clearing out temp files with, for example, ccleaner click here

dp600 09:58 08 Jan 06

Thank You.The programme is Adobe Photodelux.I have run c cleaner ,reg edit,reg cleaner and scan disc but no change

Gongoozler 10:08 08 Jan 06

Hi Dave. You say that you aren't running any other programs, but have you checked what is running in the background without your knowledge? Have a look in the Startup list (Start - Run - msconfig - Startup), and also look in Task Manager (Alt+Ctrl+Del) under Applications and Processes to see what is running.

dp600 10:10 08 Jan 06

Thank You.Just some spy were and anti virus.cpu use is 30-40%

Gongoozler 10:23 08 Jan 06

Are you aying that you have found some spyware running? In Task Manager - Processes, if you click on the heading "Mem Usage" the processes will be listed in order of the amount of RAM each is using. Clicking a second time will reverse the order.

dp600 10:43 08 Jan 06

sorry no just I have anti virus softwere running.

Gongoozler 12:28 08 Jan 06

So what does Task Manager say is using the memory? If you are processing a very large photograph, then it can use an enormous amount of memory.

gudgulf 12:36 08 Jan 06

Has this program worked in the past?

Is it an old program?

Some programs were unable to handle memory amounts above 512MB and would give that error.......they would see either zero or negative amounts of RAM.

You could try removing a stick of memory so that you have 512MB or less and see if it works then.

Check the program manufacturers website to see if this is a known issue....there may be a patch or update available to fix the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5