(lack of) Internet Options in IE6

SOFTWARE SID 13:28 25 Mar 03

I'm using IE 6 for browsing under Win98SE - and it's been trouble free until recently.

But lately, when I go to Tools-Internet Options to clean my cache, I get the following error message:

"This operation has been cancelled due to restrcitions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

It's a stand alone machine, so of course, there's no such person!

Where have I gone wrong?

spikeychris 13:42 25 Mar 03

SOFTWARE SID can you get into Internet options at all? ie: can you do any changes or is it just the Temp files that you are locked out of?

If your locked out totally, have you installed any third party software like TweakUI? If not how are with the registry?

Chris

spikeychris 14:04 25 Mar 03

If you haven't used a third party program then follow the instructions below. As long as you just click on each + symbol in turn all will be fine.

Go To start and click on run, type into the run bar "regedit". This will take you to the registry, once there you will see on the left hand pane "my-computer" followed by Hkey this and that. You want to click the + symbol at the side of “ HKEY_CURRENT_USER”, this will open drop down options. You then want to click on the + at the side of “Software\Policies” then on “Microsoft\Internet Explorer” and finally” Restrictions”

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions

Once you click on Restrictions you are looking for a folder in the right hand pane called “NoBrowserOptions” if its there right click on it and delete.

Close the registry down and restart Internet Explorer, post back with results.

Chris

Andsome 14:16 25 Mar 03

With respect, you should have mentioned that the first thing to do after opening the registry is to save a copy of it to desktop or my documents. Then if any errors are made and the system appears to be damaged, the saved registry can be re-merged. This done by going to File in the registry, and clicking on EXPORT. Give it a name such as REGISTRY of course, than decide where to save it, my documents or desktop are best.

SOFTWARE SID 14:25 25 Mar 03

Thanks for all the above advice. I couldn't get into any of the Internet Options, but I've followed Chris's steps and all is fine again.

Incidentally, I hadn't been using Tweak UI or similar, so where the problem came from is a mystery for now.It's possible that I had inadvertenly downloaded a nasty, but I scanned with AVG, Adaware and Spybot before posting my message, and come up with nothing sinister.

I appreciate the help in getting back on track.

SOFTWARE SID 14:26 25 Mar 03

Thanks for all the above advice. I couldn't get into any of the Internet Options, but I've followed Chris's steps and all is fine again.

Incidentally, I hadn't been using Tweak UI or similar, so where the problem came from is a mystery for now.It's possible that I had inadvertenly downloaded a nasty, but I scanned with AVG, Adaware and Spybot before posting my message, and come up with nothing sinister.

SOFTWARE SID 14:26 25 Mar 03

spikeychris 15:23 25 Mar 03

SOFTWARE SID glad your sorted, Andsome you are of course right, you should always backup first. The reason why I gave such a detailed post was to prevent any damage but a backup is the safest way to go.

Seen you pic and how you have the nerve to call yourself Andsome is beyond me ;o)

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…