Label printing conundrum

Sea Urchin 17:45 27 Oct 07

Over the years I must have printed thousands of (Avery type) adhesive labels using several different printers. They can sometimes be a bit tricky to set up, but provided measurements are all carefully calibrated the result is usually very satisfactory. However, I have now met my match with an HP Photo-smart C4100 - an excellent printer that reproduces superb photographic images and clear and accurate print for text documents etc. But try to print a sheet of 21 (3x7) labels and it utterly refuses to get the vertical pitch right. I set it to 3.8cm and it stubbornly prints at 3.6cm so consequently the top row of labels are the only ones to be in the correct position. And if I increase the vertical pitch figure it tells me that I can't now fit all the page into the print area.

I can't believe it is an actual problem with the feed mechanism, because if so the photos would not be printed at such high quality. Anybody with any suggestions for avenues I could explore? I'm all out of ideas. Many thanks.

Technotiger 17:54 27 Oct 07

I think your best bet would be to contact Support at
click here

Sea Urchin 18:19 27 Oct 07

Thanks Technotiger will do so.

€dstowe 18:24 27 Oct 07

What label printing software are you using?

Avery and Avery type labels are best printed using the Avery Wizard or Avery Design Pro (free version).

Both are obtainable from the Avery site if you don't already have or use them. Make sure you download from the UK/European site, though.

Sea Urchin 18:32 27 Oct 07

Am using Word mail merge - will look into the Avery site with interest.

howard64 19:01 27 Oct 07

in word have you gone to envelopes and labels and set to the avery label page no.? if you are not using avery go to the avery site and look up the no. of their 21 7x3 labels and then put it in.

Sea Urchin 19:16 27 Oct 07

Yes howard64 I have set up envelopes/labels with the correct measurements in Word. The first thing I did.

DieSse 20:03 27 Oct 07

Are your label sheets A4 sized?

Is your printer set to A4 pages?

Perhaps you have to move the print margins around?

lotvic 20:14 27 Oct 07

On mine (Word > Labels) Vertical Pitch of 3.8cm the Top margin is 1.5 cm

There is a pre-set one Rank Xerox 003R93356 which give 3 x 7 labels
Top margin: 1.5
Side margin 0.7
Vertical pitch: 3.8
Horizontal pitch: 6.6
Page size A4 (21 x 29.7)
Label height: 3.8
Label width: 6.35

Sea Urchin 20:18 27 Oct 07

They are A4 and correctly configured for printer. As for the margins I have tried every possible combination possible, and more!!!

I am going to mark this as resolved, and take up Technotigers suggestion to contact HP

Thanks to all for your contributions.

Sea Urchin 20:27 27 Oct 07

Didn't see your post. Yes, almost identical to the Avery settings. The strange thing is that when I print on my HP Deskjet the labels come out perfectly - whereas using the exact same settings and labels the Photosmart makes a mess of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…