L G dvd Writer

duke2 15:48 14 Feb 06

My neighbour as asked me to help him.Just over a month ago he asked me to install a new Dvd Writer It has been working fine but yesterday he could not get the tray open. So I checked the control panel>system device manager and noticed that it was not listed. So I rebooted the computer and still it has not been recognized
I noticed that at the boot up the writers power light comes on while then goes of like normal but the writer will not work even open the tray. Anybody any ideas before he sends it back.
He is running XP
thanks
Duke

Chegs ®™ 15:57 14 Feb 06

Optical drives usually have a tiny hole down which you can insert a very thin rod to release the tray(if its got a CD in)Otherwise,just disconnect and return.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:09 14 Feb 06

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error
Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.

click here

This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software.
Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

duke2 17:29 14 Feb 06

Thanks for the help guys.

The drive was not mentioned at all in the device manager, completely dead. I have just been around to remove the writer out of the computer and found it now works!!! But it is still going back he had paid the return postage!!

Duke

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…