Via KT133 chipset - comaptible with USB Modem?

georgemac 11:13 26 Oct 04

Just wondering if anyone is running this chipset with an ADSL USB modem as there are supposed to be compatibility issues.

2 friends have this, one fitted a pci usb2 card & this cured the problem.

The other went into the local pc shop and he told her she should not need this and it would be a waste of money.

Some sites say update the via drivers and some say apply the via usb software patch, just wondering if anyone has this combo running OK

motherboar msi 6340 - time athlon 1700xp - not going to time to ask them!

PSF 11:25 26 Oct 04

It should work on USB1.1 if not use a USB 2 pci card click here.

georgemac 12:26 26 Oct 04

thanks, that's the best priced card I have seen and has the ali chipset so won't have the via compatibility problem, although the latest via chipsets seem to work OK with USB modem anyway.

spuds 12:40 26 Oct 04

If the modem is the Thomson/Alcetal SpeedTouch 330, then there is a compatibilty problem with the SIS/ALI and KT133 chipsets.

Thomson recommend fitting pci card.I partly overcame the problem by fitting a Belkin F5D5000uk card and also uprated via USB 2.0 card.

georgemac 18:58 26 Oct 04

I have purchased one of these click here for her and a mini usb hub for myself for £2.50 - hopefully this will do the trick, they have decided to go for pipex bb so I'm just off to check that out as they habe no online access at present.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…