Kodak Photo CD

Southernboy 16:52 19 Jul 03

For the past 2/3 years, I have been having my Kodak Ultra colour film processed to CD in addition to the usual prints, in anticipation of getting my new PC, which I now have.

The PC runs Win XP Home, but looking at the collection of CDs I have, the System requirements in the earliest ones run from W95 to W98, and on the latest CD, received only yesterday, runs from W98SE to Win ME. In addition, the software seems to have varied. The earliest seems to be Disney orientated, whereas the latter ones apparently have software from Intel. I also have one CD from Boots which makes no mention of system requirements.

My question is, can I view all these on XP? I cannot believe that each time an OS is updated, it renders my "photo album" obsolete! I accept that programs do become obsolete over the years, but the family collection of photographs goes on for years.

Any ideas?

Djohn 16:59 19 Jul 03

Have you tried opening the CD files on your new PC? I would think that any decent photo editing software will recognise all your different formats. You can download the latest "Free" software from Kodak's website at, click here It's basic, but will enable you to view/alter contrast/brightness, remove red-eye, and save or print. Regards. j.

anchor 17:11 19 Jul 03

Not ever had a Kodak PhotoCD I am not sure of the file extension for pictures stored this way. However, I suspect that it may be pcd.

Irfanview is a good free graphic programme that supports this, and many other file types. I does very much more than the Kodak free viewer.

It can be downloaded from;
click here

Don`t forget to also download the plug-ins.

Southernboy 11:49 23 Jul 03

I have not yet inserted any of the Kodak CDs as the instructions state that insertion immediately autoruns the program and installs the software. I was wary on installing several different software programs in case there is a conflict of some kind.

-pops- 12:04 23 Jul 03

It won't (shouldn't) install the software without your permission.

stlucia 13:09 23 Jul 03

I would insert the CD. If it autoruns it will ask you if you want to continue with the installation. Just click on Cancel or No or whatever button stops it.

Then browse throught the CD (there may be several folders) until you find where the photos are stored. Double-click on any of the photos and you should be able to view it using the software built into XP.

I have a few Kodak photo CDs, all with different viewers as you say, but have viewed them this way (with Win 98) without using the viewer that's on the CD.

hssutton 14:14 23 Jul 03

Hi Southernboy

I have just tried a Kodak Photo CD from about 6 years ago. This wouldn't open in XP Pro, but I had no problems viewing the images in PS7 and Photoimpact. As stated above just browse through to "Images" on the Cd and ignore the rest and you should have no problems.

Harry

Southernboy 17:32 29 Jul 03

in manipulating or printing the photos. I simply want to put the CDs in the PC and look at them.

Does this mean I have to buy some other software simply to do this?

I would much rather Kodak simply stored them in a format that could be opened by clicking on them, regardless of the OS. After all, Kodak boast on the box that the discs will last up to 100 years. I presume they realise that operating systems will change during this time period?

Djohn 17:54 29 Jul 03

All my photo's taken with Kodak, open in Kodak's own software and in XP's "My Pictures" from which you can view/print them. You will need some form of software though if you wish to do any work on them. j.

hssutton 18:45 29 Jul 03

Ok, then as already suggested, download Irfanview (this is freeware) and view them using irfan's slideshow. I have several imaging programs on my XP machine, all of these will open a Kodak photo CD. As you say operating systems change, and I agree that XP will not open the earlier Kodak CDs, but thats not the end of the world as there are many programs that will

Southernboy 17:31 22 Aug 03

who freely admit that the software they include on their picture discs is not compatible with XP. They also admit that, although they claim the discs will last c.100 years, they are made for the average family punter who they expect to discard them within a year or so.

If you need to view pictures, you have to insert the CD and then abort the autorun process. It should then be possible to access the "pictures" file using a Windows program. Which one, I am not sure.

It seems commonsense to me that these CDs should be prepared with just the pictures that can be viewed on any OS and to leave anyone who wants to manipulate the images to purchase a third party photo program that they can update with later versions as the OS changes over the years. It is nonsense to issue these as autorun CDs with software that quickly becomes out-of-date, but it seems they are driven by their Marketing Dept who believe that customers are fickle and do not expect their photos to be a longlasting thing.

Our throwaway society does not seem to value anything!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…