Knowing when to publish a website

powerless 14:44 28 Jun 03

When is the right time to publish a website?

Do you have to have as much content of the website as possible when you are about to publish.

Or can you start to slowly build it up. Add new pages etc each week.

I'm not at any stage yet to even hit the "Publish Web" but what are the thought of when to publish a web?

Forum Editor 17:01 28 Jun 03

you don't publish to the server until the site is complete - or as good as complete. The reason for this is that anyone who knows about the domain can see what you have published - once it's on the server on an active domain it's there for the world to see.

I imagine that it's reasonable to assume that nobody knows about your site however, and therefore you would be safe in publishing whenever you like. The big thing to remember is that once you've sent the site to the server there will be two copies of it - one on your hard drive and one on the internet. That means that there's the potential for trouble if you get the two copies out of sync, and forget which one is the latest version. It's possible (and many people work this way) to work on the site live, on the server. If you make changes in this way you can see them instantly in your browser, and all is well............until the next time you publish from your hard drive. FrontPage will then overwrite the server files, undoing all your previous hard work.

Get into the habit of working on the local copy (as it's called) only, and then publishing the changes to the server copy. That way the two will always be in sync.

distortal 18:53 03 Jul 03

From your OP I would guess you are creating a site which you will add to later.

My advice is to get your structure complete. There should be no broken links or holding pages, everything should be accessible. You should also try to make your structure expandable in case you want to add sections later.

As for content, I think you should have more than a typical person can read in an hour or two. This makes it *just* a little too much content for people to get bored on the first visit. You also need a hook to get people back, so your content needs to be good. Start as you mean to go on!

Once you have your structure and some content, publish the site and submit it to some search engines. They will take a month or so to spider your site and include it in their results, and you can use that time to add more content.

User-312386 19:40 04 Jul 03

do it anytime you like, so you can see what it is like

It does not mean that anyone will know its there

when you have finished then tell the whole world like I did

I was so proud the 1st day I put something on the web

mdshamilton 22:33 05 Jul 03

I too was pretty proud of publishing my first web - and it's just a small website to display family news and photos.

Be aware that webs tend to eveolve as works in progress. There will always be something more you can add, or something that ought to be updated. If you're reasonably happy with it then publish!

If it's a commercial website, make sure someone else tests the hell out of it as small mistakes can reflect on the entire company image.

Good luck & congrats

powerless 00:09 06 Jul 03

Non commercial.

Personal but for computer users.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…