Knoppix

mikel1878 22:55 13 Jan 05

Hi,
I just bought a second hand laptop with no operating system installed. I intend to install XP using the licence from my old laptop. The thing is that I was given a copy of Knoppix and I know nothing about it. I wasn't too impressed with it and want to know if I can go ahead with the Windows install without doing any mischief. I realise this is probably a simple enough query to most of you guys but I simply don't want to do anything thats going to cost me a small fortune to have put right by an expert.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Regards
Mike

hugh-265156 23:42 13 Jan 05

if you have a windows xp disc just boot from it and install xp. remove xp from your old laptop first.

knoppix runs from cd and is usually not installed on your hard drive although you can do this if you want to.

keep knoppix as an emergancy disc if windows ever throws a wobbly it will at least let you get online to get some help if your hardware is linux compatable. i doubt you will have any problems.

Totally-braindead 23:50 13 Jan 05

Had to look up Knoppix to actually see what it was as I'd never heard of it before. I've found XP to be very good at installing the correct drivers etc so I'd just go ahead and try it, you've obviously got another computer to contact the Forum on if you run into trouble. As long as the laptop is fast enough and has enough memory I don't think you find theres any problems.

mikel1878 10:03 14 Jan 05

Thanks for that, I will give it a go and report back.

Em dee

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…