Knackered SATA Advice sought

PhiltheFragger 08:17 04 Jun 05

Friends new system crashed, sata hdd wouldn't boot, decided to get new sata drive, load xp on that and transfer data from old drive, old drive would then be reformatted and used as drive no 2.

loaded XP no probs, but when I connect the old drive, the system obviously wants to boot from it and the system refuses to work.

Is there any way I can set the Master/slave settings on these things.

It really is a pain in the backside, wish I hadn't bothered

andrew-196854 08:52 04 Jun 05

there should be some jumpers on the back of your hard drive, just make the new one master and the other one slave , there will be some plastic caps to take off hope this helps

PhiltheFragger 08:57 04 Jun 05

are you sure?

Yes there are jumpers on an IDE drive, but I'm certain that SATA drives are jumperless

andrew-196854 09:02 04 Jun 05

sorry i was proberly wrong read here click here

PhiltheFragger 13:12 04 Jun 05

Thanks

But if I have 2 drives who think they are both master, both containing windows, how do i get one to boot rather than the other.

retep888 13:57 04 Jun 05

There should be two sata connections onboard, sata 1 and sata 2 , try connect the sata cable from the new drive to sata 1 and sata cable from the old drive to sata 2,it should boot from from the new drive then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…