Knackered DVD drive?

Procrastinus 10:33 23 May 09

I have fitted a secondhand Toshiba DVD drive to a XP computer. It plays audio CDs well but when a DVD is inserted I get the message 'Windows cannot read from this disc'. The disc plays OK in another computer. I have uninstalled the player and reinstalled to try to get the MS driver to reset to no avail. Windows Explorer cannot read any files on the DVD either.
I suspect the drive is broken.
Any other advice before I remove it and throw it out?
Thanks.

AndySD 10:47 23 May 09

In My Computer does it show as a DVD Drive?

Have you checked on the Manufacturers web site for any Firmware updates for the drive?

Procrastinus 09:19 24 May 09

Good Morning, AndySD.
Yes, it does show up in My Computer and I have checked that 'the device is working normally'.
I cannot find any firmware (update or otherwise) on the Toshiba websites for the SD-M1612 model I have.
Also it is set to the correct region.
I would welcome any other thoughts!

Technotiger 10:04 24 May 09

You probably need to install click here

Technotiger 10:07 24 May 09

You might need to run a DVD Cleaning disc in the drive, a dirty Laser Lens would not help any.

Procrastinus 16:04 24 May 09

Good Afternoon, Technotiger.
I don't think I will need the Codecs as I am using VLC Player on all machines with no problems.
However I will be off to get a cleaner next week. I have not used one before after hearing stories about them wrecking DVD RW machines. But I have nothing to lose in this case as it is a ROM.
Will report back in due course.

Technotiger 16:11 24 May 09

I have used DVD Cleaning disc never had any problems.

Kryten 16:18 24 May 09

DVD drives use 2 lazers to read the discs, one reads the cd's and the other read's DVD's, so they can read one format but not the other if a lazer lens is faulty. Try other DVD's after using the cleaning disc. If none of these work then you may have a faulty drive.

Stuartli 19:04 24 May 09

It's most likely that the DVD laser has gone kaput - optical drives are so cheap these days that it's not worth messing around if a basic Uninstall and Reinstall, plus Reboot of the drive and reinstallation of the basic CDROM driver has no result.

Could be worth keeping for just playing audio CDs and installing software.

Stuartli 19:05 24 May 09

Might be the reason why the drive was secondhand...:-)

Stuartli 00:29 25 May 09

If you Google the Toshiba drive's model number it will be possible to find out if it is, in fact, a DVD drive or just for CDs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017