kingston data traveller

louorbill 17:38 31 Oct 06

i have used flash drives for many years now but recently have bought a new 1gb peak flash drive and a kingston data traveller 512mb. these work on certain computers i have access to but not on mine. i use xp home edition sp2i have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver pack for usb 2 (via ) to no avail. Microsoft automatic updates is on
any suggestions?

skidzy 17:47 31 Oct 06

Plug the flash drive in and run Belarc click here this will show if it is recognised.Maybe a reboot with the flash drive plugged in may help also.

skidzy 17:54 31 Oct 06

Also,once the flash drive is plugged in,have a look in device manager for any yellow exclaimation marks.
Start/right click my computer/Properties/hardware/device manager.

If you find a yellow exclaimation mark beside any usb controllers,right click this and uninstall,xp will install the generic drivers.Normally flash drives are plug and go in xp so no other drivers are needed.

skidzy 17:58 31 Oct 06

Typo: should read right click this and uninstall and reboot,xp will install the generic drivers.

louorbill 18:21 31 Oct 06

i have done all your suggestions so far with no luck
there are yellow marks by
other devices (big question mark)ie the main driver
usb device
usb flash memory

the berlac program hasn't found the flas syick

louorbill 18:39 31 Oct 06

i have done all your suggestions so far with no luck
there are yellow marks by
other devices (big question mark)ie the main driver
usb device
usb flash memory

the berlac program hasn't found the flas syick

skidzy 18:56 31 Oct 06

Do you have your windows disc ? if so try the system file checker sfc /scannow (note the space /)click here and if you have your motherbaord cd with utilities and drivers on it try that also.

skidzy 19:10 31 Oct 06

If you have a question mark by other devices ie: usb device and flash memory,you need to uninstall them and reboot,xp should do the rest.

louorbill 19:37 31 Oct 06

i have done that several times over the last few days but no difference. yet my other flash drive still works
i have run out of ideas

skidzy 19:40 31 Oct 06

have you tried different usb ports ?,strange why it works in another pc and another flash drive works on yours.

louorbill 16:34 01 Nov 06

yes i have tried all other usb ports even unplugging printer and used that.
the only thing i haven't tried is a windows recovery!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…