Kindle in Water

prester-john 29 Mar 13

My Amazon Kindle (e-reader / e-ink, ie the one before Paperwhite) fell into some water. Only just, but enough to put it out of action. 24 hours in airing cupboard didn't cure it. Any practical suggestions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 29 Mar 13

Looking at the price to get spares for them, its not likely you can do anything other that what you have already done, its cheaper to get a new one.

All your books can be downloaded to the new one when you register it as they are kept on the Amazon server

Stick it in a bag of rice? Rice is good for extracting the maximum possible moisture from its surroundings. I've heard the trick has been used successfully with phones.

chub_tor 29 Mar 13

If you Google for Kindle dropped in water you will find several suggestions the most popular of which is to put your Kindle into a bag of dry rice and leave for at least 48 hours. Worth a try.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 29 Mar 13
  mobileman1953 29 Mar 13

24 hours in cat litter

prester-john 30 Mar 13

Thank you Fruit Bat, Ian in Northampton, chub_tor, mobileman1953 for helpful suggestions. I've cancelled Monday's rice pudding and put the Kindle in the (still dry!) rice. It may be rather too late, but we'll see. I think that wraps it up for now.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message