Kindle not recognised by computer

johnincrete 12:43 PM 19 Oct 12

When I connect my Kindle to the USB port to charge it, I get a message from Windows (XP) saying that a device connected to a port is not recognised and offers no help.

Any ideas?

There is a small orange light shining on the Kindle next to the imput port which goes out when I disconnect.

scotty 13:55 PM 19 Oct 12

Look here for suggested solutions.

Are you sure that the USB cable has the data lines connected? There are USB cables which only have the power lines connected and are only for charging.

wiz-king 14:05 PM 19 Oct 12

I have a Sony e-reader and the orange light is a charging light and if I look at 'drives' it list the e-reader along with c,d,e and any USB sticks I have plugged in.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:45 PM 19 Oct 12

Remove all USB devices

Download and run USB device View

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

morddwyd 07:17 AM 20 Oct 12

If you're only charging it, then it doesn't matter if the computer doesn't recognize it.

johnincrete 08:07 AM 20 Oct 12

Fruit Bat By "remove" do you mean just remove the cables from the USB sockets? What about the mouse without which I can't do anything?

johnincrete 09:25 AM 20 Oct 12

More puzzled! I switched the computer on this morning and left it while I made coffee. When I got back, there was a message to say that Windows had found new hardware. I connected the Kindle and... nothing! However, I left it connected to see if it charged. After about 5 minutes, Windows found the Kindle as if nothing had been wrong. So, thanks all: I'll keep this topic just in case.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…