Killdisk, then restore from backup

Graham ® 16:38 29 Dec 05

If I use Killdisk click here to erase my hard drive, then restore from the USB drive, will the erased data be in the restore?

SANTOS7 16:48 29 Dec 05

software that allows you to destroy all data on hard and floppy drives completely.

taken from link,answers your question really..

Graham ® 16:52 29 Dec 05

Thanks, sorry, I didn't explain very well.

I have saved a copy of the drive before using Killdisk. Is the deleted but not overwritten data in the backup?

PaulB2005 16:53 29 Dec 05

Depends how you backed it up - but anyway i doubt it..

SANTOS7 16:57 29 Dec 05

What exactly have you saved and what media

Graham ® 16:57 29 Dec 05

Norton Ghost 9, full backup.

PaulB2005 18:22 29 Dec 05

Disk imaging programs don't seem to restore deleted files - can't see why they would. I've never tested my True Image to see if it does. However deleted file shouldn't pose a threat.

If you are suing Imaging software it's also pointless running the kill-disk software as the Imaging Software will destroy the old data on the partition anyway.

Graham ® 10:44 30 Dec 05

I'm not suing anyone. Can't get Killdisk to work, anyway :-(

mattyc_92 11:02 30 Dec 05

No it doesn't (or at least as I am aware of).
I also use "Active KillDisk" to format a drive, but use Acronis for backups.

Should be the same for Ghost as well... :-)

rsinbad 11:03 30 Dec 05

think what paulb2005 is saying if you have used ghost 9 ,to make a backup, there is no need to run killdisk as your backup will erase all on c drive, then replace from the image you have created.

Graham ® 11:09 30 Dec 05

That's the problem : the 'deleted' data is not erased by the backup. It is still there, but Windows can't see it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch