Killdisk, then restore from backup

Graham ® 16:38 29 Dec 05

If I use Killdisk click here to erase my hard drive, then restore from the USB drive, will the erased data be in the restore?

SANTOS7 16:48 29 Dec 05

software that allows you to destroy all data on hard and floppy drives completely.

taken from link,answers your question really..

Graham ® 16:52 29 Dec 05

Thanks, sorry, I didn't explain very well.

I have saved a copy of the drive before using Killdisk. Is the deleted but not overwritten data in the backup?

PaulB2005 16:53 29 Dec 05

Depends how you backed it up - but anyway i doubt it..

SANTOS7 16:57 29 Dec 05

What exactly have you saved and what media

Graham ® 16:57 29 Dec 05

Norton Ghost 9, full backup.

PaulB2005 18:22 29 Dec 05

Disk imaging programs don't seem to restore deleted files - can't see why they would. I've never tested my True Image to see if it does. However deleted file shouldn't pose a threat.

If you are suing Imaging software it's also pointless running the kill-disk software as the Imaging Software will destroy the old data on the partition anyway.

Graham ® 10:44 30 Dec 05

I'm not suing anyone. Can't get Killdisk to work, anyway :-(

mattyc_92 11:02 30 Dec 05

No it doesn't (or at least as I am aware of).
I also use "Active KillDisk" to format a drive, but use Acronis for backups.

Should be the same for Ghost as well... :-)

rsinbad 11:03 30 Dec 05

think what paulb2005 is saying if you have used ghost 9 ,to make a backup, there is no need to run killdisk as your backup will erase all on c drive, then replace from the image you have created.

Graham ® 11:09 30 Dec 05

That's the problem : the 'deleted' data is not erased by the backup. It is still there, but Windows can't see it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…