killdisc

podlod 10:39 13 Dec 08

Hi, I must have deleted thousands of files from my recycle bin, and I have often wondered wherever they go in memory, I would like to totally delete them, as I am sure they are somewhere increasing more memory to my PC.
It has been suggested that I use [email protected]?
Is this what I require, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:49 13 Dec 08

Kill disk will wipe your whole drive.

None of the deleted files are using memory just disk space (in a way).

When you delete a file, windows just wipes the first letter off the filename and therefore can no longer find it, the space on the drive is then available to windows to write another fie over the top as required.

This erasing of the first letter is what allows recovery programs to retrieve deleted files.

You can get programs to securely delete the file by writing over it several times. However the space on the drive is still occupied but available to windows.

johndrew 10:59 13 Dec 08

Active killdisk click here is NOT what you need. This software will delete your whole HDD and you will lose everything - read the details in the link.

When you delete a file it goes to the Recycle bin but is still available for recovery until either you Empty the bin or you exceed the space allocated for such files - at this time they are overwritten when the space on the HDD is required. You can adjust the size of your Recycle bin to suit your needs click here

Once deleted from the Recycle bin, the files still exist and may be recovered by reinstating their headers - generally a small piece of software is used to do this click here. Remember this is only so until they are overwritten.

Deleted files are not active and the only downside to the Recycle bin is that it takes up a small amount of HDD space. The amount you would gain by not having it is minimal unless the space is set at a very high level; usual bin size is 10% of HDD but if you have, say, a 500GB HDD you could easily reduce this to 5% or less if you want.

johndrew 10:59 13 Dec 08

I must learn to type faster!!!

bremner 11:13 13 Dec 08

FYI your description is correct for a FAT system but a totally different process applies to NTFS.

In NTFS a flag (a bit value) is changed in the files MFT entry. The filename is unchanged.

podlod 11:14 16 Dec 08

Hi, well thanks for all the info, as I have learnt more now regarding my PC, thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5