graham√ 14:49 17 Apr 03

Any one seen any of these yet?

MartinT-B 14:55 17 Apr 03

Yes

I'll show you:

Operating System

Microsoft

« Ravin » 14:57 17 Apr 03

don't see anything martin t-b bit if it replaces the pop ups i think its an excellent idea :D

Sir Radfordin™ 15:00 17 Apr 03

Graham you've got your tick √ back :)

PCA did send me an email and I guess others about these new adverts. Have to say they are a clever little idea, and because you can't see where you are going to I've clicked on a few just out of interest to see which companies have gone for which words.

They seem to be a similar thing to the AOL Keywords that have been around for a while. Is this the shape of things to come?

Gerrycan 15:00 17 Apr 03

They are advertising links if you mean the ones that are underlined in green?

MartinT-B 15:01 17 Apr 03

Give a few secs to respond.

Both the OS and M words should become highlighted with green line after about 3 or 4 seconds.

Gerrycan 15:03 17 Apr 03

this was posted yesterday by fe..Forum Editor Wed, 16.04.03 | 19:13
The green lines are perfectly harmless
and infinitely better than the pop-ups that provoke so much irritation.
If you click on the green-lined word you'll see a product related to it. If you don't want to see the advertising don't click the word.

Time and time again I've made the point that this site needs advertising revenue if it is to survive. It's the real world, like it or not, and we think that this method will be as inoffensive as advertising could be.

If you must make a point of blocking all advertsing you'll soon be without any worthwhile resources on the Internet. People aren't going to spend days and weeks of their time and thousands of pounds of their money developing valuable Internet resources for no return - anyone who did that would be out of business in no time.

We intend to survive.

MartinT-B 15:03 17 Apr 03

If you hover over the link you should get a pop-up highlight type link box that tell you where you'll be taken if you click.

At least, I do.

graham√ 15:03 17 Apr 03

Not seeing any green. Is it AOL again?

graham√ 15:25 17 Apr 03

Yes, I know what the point is. My point is I am not getting any highlights and I feel left out. Fed up and going in.

Sir Radfordin™ 15:42 17 Apr 03

Yes I realised that, but some of them have fairly devious descriptions! Clicked on y'day and ended up at the Sun Microsystems site which I wasn't expecting either from the description or the keyword.

Unlike other links you can't see the path of the link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…