Keys not working on laptop

jam500 19:20 21 Mar 07

Hi, My wife wishes to buy a cheap laptop off ebay, But the lappy she is interested in has 2 keys that dont work. I know nobody knows if its fixable here as i dont even know but was wondering if its an easy job to investigate.

Technotiger 19:25 21 Mar 07

Hi, hmmm - 2 keys not working, 2nd hand, wonder what other problems it may hold. Personally I would not touch it - I am sure there are other laptops out there that will be fully operational and probably just as cheap.

phono 19:29 21 Mar 07

A laptop keyboard is not too difficult to replace if you are reasonably handy and is even easier if you can get access to a service manual.

I have even been able to repair a couple in my time, but only a couple out of a large number.

The downside is that replacement keyboards are usually very expensive and sometimes hard to source, as a result even secondhand units can also be very expensive.

Unless the laptop is very very cheap and you are prepared to take a gamble I would advise leaving it alone.

jam500 06:24 22 Mar 07

Ok, Thanks for the advice. It was £30 and my wife just needs something around that price just to write some uni notes and essays on.

abbie2k6 06:29 22 Mar 07

just an idea,could you attatch a usb keyboard
and get it working that way?

phono 20:35 22 Mar 07

If the laptop is okay in every other way you may be able to attach a PS2 keyboard to it as most laptops have a PS2 connector for keyboard or mouse to connect to.

I would imagine, because of the asking price, it is relatively old so a USB keyboard may not work well with it, for £30 and the price of a keyboard it may be fine for your wife's needs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…