Keylogging trojans

CurlyWhirly 23:28 15 Jul 04

The chances of anyone monitoring this 'keylogger' is remote at best. All that has happened is that you have received a file that was inadvertently dropped on your machine. I have yet to see proof that a home computer has had it's bank details copied by a remote or resident keylogger; there is a lot of X-files rubbish spouted about this and other 'security issues'.
Above is the reply to a question from another thread.
I have started this thread as no one replied to my last question!
I went to a download site (not P2P) and when I downloaded a file my anti-virus gave me a warning that I had installed a keylogging trojan.
I then went on to ask the question that (as I deleted it as soon as it was detected) would the hacker know that the trojan had been deleted by an error message appearing on his /her screen.
Above is a reply but I am still none the wiser as if there is very little chance of a hacker monitoring the trojan then what is the point of trojans being active on the internet?

CurlyWhirly 00:20 16 Jul 04

Anyone there?

Nellie2 00:35 16 Jul 04

what was the name of this keylogger?

CurlyWhirly 00:40 16 Jul 04

The name of the keylogger was JS/Keylog-Briss.ldr trojan

GANDALF <|:-)> 01:05 16 Jul 04

Trojans are self-replicating. IF a 'hacker' was to direct a Trojan to a known target, a home user would not be worried as it is highly unlikely that he/she would know the target. GCHQ might be trembling but I would assume and hope that their level of security is slightly better than Zonealarm ;-)). (However the North American Missile Defense System was somewhat embarrassingly compromised.)

Nellie2 01:07 16 Jul 04

Considering that this trojan gets into your system via a vulnerability in IE... I think it is highly unlikely that someone somewhere is sitting there monitoring what is happening on the systems that this crap manages to get executed on.
However... I'm not an expert on this subject and I am just surmising here.

CurlyWhirly 01:09 16 Jul 04

What do you mean by self-replicating?
That sure is worrying you know the North American Missile Defense System being compromised!
How was this possible?
Didn't they use anti-trojan software?
I would have thought anything this BIG would have the relevant security!

CurlyWhirly 01:13 16 Jul 04

Even though I am using Internet Explorer how come I still have vulnerabilities in IE as I have downloaded ALL the Microsoft security updates AND Service Pack 1?
I also have anti-virus and firewall software not to mention an anti-trojan program (by the way this DIDN'T pick it up but fortunately my McAfee anti-virus did!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…