//some 3rd party need geo

Keylogging trojan - am I safe?

CurlyWhirly 01:57 14 Jul 04

I have just gone to a website to download a file (no NOT P2P!) and I had a virus detection pop-up come up saying that it has detected the 'JS/Keylog-Briss.ldr trojan'.
I have since deleted the file and run another scan and nothing shows up but how can I be sure that it has really gone?
I need to be sure as I use my PC for internet banking and I read in a website article that these keylogging trojans detect keypresses BEFORE they are sent out on the internet in encrypted format as there is NO encryption between the keyboard and the computer.
Also I am curious so I was wondering if a hacker installs a trojan on your PC and it is detected (and deleted) does the hacker KNOW that his trojan has been discovered i.e. would an error message appear on his computer screen?
CW

SANTOS7 02:06 14 Jul 04

click here may help

Djohn 02:09 14 Jul 04

If you are using XP operating system, you will need to turn off system restore, do another scan then enable restore again. If it comes up clean this time then you are OK.

I don't think whoever put it there will be aware of you removing it as he/she would not know it had installed unless you left it on and used your PC.

To double check your system is clean do a free online san from Trend-Micro. click here

CurlyWhirly 02:14 14 Jul 04

Santos7

I have just been to the Sophos website as your link directed me and after reading the trojan screen I clicked on the link and I came across a list of ALL trojans on the Sophos database and it is huge!
I didn't think that were so many trojans out there!
Also I have the registered version of the A2 (A squared) trojan scanner and it wasn't even alerted so thank goodness for McAfee VirusScan 7!
I thought that a dedicated trojan scanner was better at detecting trojans than an anti-virus package?
CW

Dan the Confused 02:15 14 Jul 04

I would also run Ad-aware and Spybot as a precaution.

These kind of programs are rife on the internet and I doubt anyone will know that you had it or that it has been removed.

CurlyWhirly 02:27 14 Jul 04

Dan the Confused

Cheers for your advice.
I have disabled System Restore and run another virusscan and nothing shows up.
I have also run ad-aware and Spybot and nothing here either (except the 4 DSO exploits that I have read on this very forum is a bug in Spybot that will be fixed soon and as i have ALL the latest Microsoft patches I am not at risk) so I 'must' be clean?
I have had a few viruses and worms (mainly cause I didn't download the Microsoft updates!) in the past but this is the first time I have had a keylogger trojan.
CW

Dan the Confused 02:33 14 Jul 04

You are lucky! I've had loads in the past. It's really nothing to be concerned about.

CurlyWhirly 02:37 14 Jul 04

Dan the Confused

'nothing to be concerned about?'

I use my PC for internet banking and I don't want some hacker stealing my password(s)!
CW

SimianBenzoate 03:17 14 Jul 04

most banking websites ive come across dont require your full password for the very fact that if they did you could get keylogged...
mine asks for say, the 4th, 5th, and 8th letters of your password...that way, you never reveal the full password and they wont see where the letters you do give come in the order of your password...

Djohn 03:27 14 Jul 04

My bank and credit card company provide drop down menu boxes to put certain parts of your details in by using the mouse and clicking on a preselected number/letter. This is to avoid any key logging programs.

Also any major bank/card company will gladly refund any money that is taken out of your account by fraud. It is in their interest to protect you the customer. j.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:31 14 Jul 04

The chances of anyone monitoring this 'keylogger' is remote at best. All that has happened is that you have received a file that was inadvertently dropped on your machine. I have yet to see proof that a home computer has had it's bank details copied by a remote or resident keylogger; there is a lot of X-files rubbish spouted about this and other 'security issues'.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…