Keyloggers

panhandle 12:21 14 Jan 08

If I create macros for my numerous passwords, will this prevent detection of the actual password by keyloggers? Or could the macro keystrokes/shortcut itself in some way reveal what was recorded?
Asked in ignorance!

silverous 14:00 14 Jan 08

It depends I think on what your macros are going to do. A couple of thoughts:

i) How would you store the passwords? Storing them in plain text on your machine in a single place doesn't seem ideal.

ii) If the macro is effectively using the typing interface (not sure the correct term) then the keylogger could pick that up. If it is somehow using an interface at a lowe level than the the one the keylogger is listening to then perhaps.

I think better to just protect your PC than worry too much about bypassing something that might never get on it.

mfletch 14:08 14 Jan 08

I agree You need to use a good active antispyware program or do regular scans with a good Antispyware program,

Never store pass words on your computer unprotected encrypted

mfletch

panhandle 14:08 14 Jan 08

I do not store passwords on the PC but on an external hard drive & a memory stick.

I would create the macros so that when I visit for example a bank, I can just do 'alt/shift/!' and presto there is the password.

So the password would be set up by recording a macro and creating a keyboard shortcut. Maybe I am trying to make a mountain out of a molehill!

mfletch 14:13 14 Jan 08

Hi,

I use this for my pass words,

Roboform

click here

mfletch

panhandle 14:18 14 Jan 08

My security is always up to date, but Roboform looks interesting, so thanks a lot.

silverous 16:13 14 Jan 08

If your security us up to date then I wouldn't worry too much, any macros you created would in theory be a step backward as they'd need to store the logins/passwords (unless you built in encryption of some sort).

By all means use a decent password storage and completion tool but I wouldn't bother building your own unless for challenge/fun.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…