Keyboards wont work

Quilljar 22:32 10 Jan 09

My friend's win xp computer has a problem. The keyboard suddenly will not work. I have tried two other keyboards both USB and PCI and they will not work either. Everything else is fine, the mouse works and all keyboard drivers say they are OK. I have scanned with four different antispy and adware scans as well as a full antivirus.

We cannot get the keyboards to type a single letter or number.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated...

Jim_F 23:32 10 Jan 09

Only a PS2 keyboard will work from startup - USB will work provided legacy support is enabled in bios. PCI I don't recognise - is this a typo ?

Please remember that the PS2 keyboard will only work in the correct socket - and only from a cold boot (these are not hot swap-able) - the mouse will work on the keyboard socket but the keyboard won't work in the mouse socket !

Quilljar 10:30 11 Jan 09

I note what you say but it does not help I am afraid. We tried everything you can think of; re-booting with different keyboards etc but no results.

(My own computer XP will work with any connection keyboard. hot or cold swap, even with two connected at once)

Jim_F 12:34 11 Jan 09

Unfortunately it is possible to damage a PS2 keyboard interface although most modern ones use auto-resettable fuses that make this less likely.

The problem with USB is that most bios implementations I have see set legacy USB support for keyboard off by default.

If you've not done so I would try pluging in a good known keyboard and power cycling making sure you physically disconnect the machine from the power for a period of some minutes.

I'd also try a CMOS reset under the same conditions just in case the bios was corrupted.

Both are long shots I accept but they have sometimes worked for me in similar situations.

In theory you should be able to buy a plug in PCI card with a PS2 socket - these were common in the days of ISA cards but appear to be rarer these days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac