Keyboards wont work

Quilljar 22:32 10 Jan 09

My friend's win xp computer has a problem. The keyboard suddenly will not work. I have tried two other keyboards both USB and PCI and they will not work either. Everything else is fine, the mouse works and all keyboard drivers say they are OK. I have scanned with four different antispy and adware scans as well as a full antivirus.

We cannot get the keyboards to type a single letter or number.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated...

Jim_F 23:32 10 Jan 09

Only a PS2 keyboard will work from startup - USB will work provided legacy support is enabled in bios. PCI I don't recognise - is this a typo ?

Please remember that the PS2 keyboard will only work in the correct socket - and only from a cold boot (these are not hot swap-able) - the mouse will work on the keyboard socket but the keyboard won't work in the mouse socket !

Quilljar 10:30 11 Jan 09

I note what you say but it does not help I am afraid. We tried everything you can think of; re-booting with different keyboards etc but no results.

(My own computer XP will work with any connection keyboard. hot or cold swap, even with two connected at once)

Jim_F 12:34 11 Jan 09

Unfortunately it is possible to damage a PS2 keyboard interface although most modern ones use auto-resettable fuses that make this less likely.

The problem with USB is that most bios implementations I have see set legacy USB support for keyboard off by default.

If you've not done so I would try pluging in a good known keyboard and power cycling making sure you physically disconnect the machine from the power for a period of some minutes.

I'd also try a CMOS reset under the same conditions just in case the bios was corrupted.

Both are long shots I accept but they have sometimes worked for me in similar situations.

In theory you should be able to buy a plug in PCI card with a PS2 socket - these were common in the days of ISA cards but appear to be rarer these days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…