keyboard/mouse not working unless running AVG

gillersuk 12:02 30 Oct 07

The keyboard and mouse on my laptop won't work unless I'm running either AVG or Spybot.

I have to use an external mouse to go into the visitors account as I can't put in the password for the Admin account.

Then I can start AVG or Spybot with the external mouse and as soon as either start working the internal keyboard and mouse start working.

When AVG/Spybot finish though the keyboard and mouse stop working again.

Neither finds a virus or adware/malware problem.

Any ideas would be very welcome - thanks...

Technotiger 12:19 30 Oct 07

If using XP, try a System Restore back to when all was working properly.

gillersuk 12:23 30 Oct 07

Unfortunately, I can't run System Restore from the visitor account.

Technotiger 12:32 30 Oct 07

Can you get it to start in Safe mode (normally by repeatedly pressing F8 on start-up - though I am not so sure about laptops), if so, you could probably run System Restore in safe mode.

gillersuk 13:10 30 Oct 07

I can't do that because the keyboard doesn't work when loading Windows.

gillersuk 13:35 30 Oct 07

I guess they could connect a USB external keyboard. I don't really want to buy one though. I would have to try and find one to borrow. Still doesn't solve the problem although it might make it easier to solve.

Technotiger 14:04 30 Oct 07

Is it possible for you to un-install Spybot? I suspect that it is Spybot that is causing your problem. Don't ask me why, but I have never trusted Spybot and would never use it on my PC.

gillersuk 21:40 30 Oct 07

I don't think it's spybot as it's been working with that for a long time and I haven't updated it recently. I will try and look for an external keyboard but in the meantime any further suggestions would be gratefully received!

Technotiger 22:00 30 Oct 07

Maybe someone in the AVG Forum might have a clue?

click here

or maybe the Spybot Forum ...

click here

Just clutching at straws I'm afraid, but worth a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…