Keyboard typing gibberish

Austen Stuart 13:43 06 Feb 15

I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7. Attached to the laptop is a 21” monitor and a usb/wireless keyboard and mouse. Everything has worked fine until this week. When I start typing on the keyboard – either the laptop keyboard or the usb keyboard - it correctly types the first letter; thereafter it proceeds to display all the number and letters on the keyboard starting from the top left and running l to r regardless of what is actually being typed. The keyboard is OK; I have tried it on an older laptop also running Windows 7. The keyboard settings seem to be OK, set to United Kingdom (also tried USA but with same result). Ironically, the keyboards run OK in Word (hence this posting) but resorts to gibberish in browsers (all browsers). At 70+ years of age, I don’t pretend to be a computer whiz kid but I am coming to the conclusion that I next need to uninstall and then reinstall Windows and if that does not rectify the problem, buy a new computer. But before I do, anyone any bright ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:46 06 Feb 15

Sounds more like you have a virus / malware of some description if its only happening in browsers.

What protection programs do you have? I think you need to scan for virus and malware.

Austen Stuart 14:59 06 Feb 15

I did all the virus checking as soon as the problem started 2 days ago. I use Zone Alarm Extreme Security, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and Spybot. Zone Alarm which is set to scan every day found something called Heur.Trojan.Win32 Generic and dealt with it. Could this be the problem? If so, is it dealt with? Will reinstalling Windows solve the problem? Sorry for any ignorance showing.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:23 06 Feb 15

Sounds as if you have good protection although I still think its a "nastie" causing the problem

Try ADWCleaner it should remove PUPs potentially unwanted programs and addons from your browsers

As the keyboard is oK in word then I don't think the trouble of reinstalling windows will be worth it.

1]: [click here

Austen Stuart 15:55 06 Feb 15

Did as you suggested with ADW Cleaner (twice). The first time it found some .lnk files which it wanted to remove and to which I OK’d. The second time it found nothing. However, the problem still exists. I am grateful for your help but not sure what to do next. Incidentally, I have dome another Malwarebytes scan – nothing – and a ZoneAlarm quick scan – also nothing. I will do a full scan overnight just to be sure but if there is anything lurking, it is certainly well hidden. Thanks again

rdave13 16:08 06 Feb 15

Check Zone Alarm if it has an anti keylogger setting somewhere and turn it off.

rdave13 16:11 06 Feb 15

Check Zone Alarm if it has an anti keylogger setting somewhere and turn it off.

rdave13 16:12 06 Feb 15

Apologies for double posting.

Austen Stuart 16:56 06 Feb 15

There is an anti-keylogging setting which is currently turned on. Not sure, however, why I would want to turn it off and why that would help

rdave13 17:00 06 Feb 15

There's a glitch may be. Try turning it off and see if that stops the error. You might have to reboot. If it does stop the gibberish you will at least know if it is the problem or not.

Austen Stuart 18:56 06 Feb 15

Well, blow me, or words to that effect. You were right. I am typing this directly into the area rather than copying and pasting from Word. But what do I do now? Should I keep anti-keylogger turned off? And does this reduce security? Presumably not so long as I keep other nasties at bay. Anyway thanks for the suggestion and sorry if I appeared hesitant in adopting it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5