Keyboard - strange characters

onthelimit 14:45 23 Mar 11

It's one of those days. Neighbour's daughter has Dell laptop W7. Mose keys work normally, but Shift produces a forward slash. Return returns, but inputs a Hash as well. > produces nothing.
I've checked regional and Language, there is only the standard English UK keyboard.

I guess one of the kids at school has done something, but I'm baffled!

aitch2 14:57 23 Mar 11

Without wishing to sound alarmist, has she spilt any liquids on her keyboard? My daughter did the same with her Acer and had exactly the same key input problems with very similar results as to what you are seeing when the keys are pressed.
My daughter's laptop is away for repair at the moment, but it looks as if she will need a new keypad as a result of her spilling her tea (milk+2sugar)s. There are threads on here with some good advice, but I wasn't articulate enough to warrant any dismantling or cleaning.
Aitch

onthelimit 15:04 23 Mar 11

You may be right - I've plugged in a separate keyboard, and that works fine. It's still under warranty, but if they decline, it's an easy one to replace.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple