Keyboard shortcut buttons funny situation

golfpro 12:36 01 Jan 07

When I try to use the short cut button on my key board to open my browser (FF) with no other program running, nothing happens. If I have a program open Outlook or Word say, and press it, it works. The Mail and Loud speaker buttons are OK. Can anyone throw any light on this?
I don't know the make of the keyboard, and I don't have a driver disc for it it came with the PC.
OS Win XP Home.

Jackcoms 13:28 01 Jan 07

FF ??

Never seen such a shortcut key. Have you got it right?

VoG II 13:30 01 Jan 07

FF = FireFox?

Without knowing the make and model I think it would be impossible to advise.

User-178362 13:35 01 Jan 07

Hi, although you do not have software for your keyboard ... go to Start>Control Panel>Keyboard and then click on Keyboard to open, then simply close it again and also close Control Panel ... then try your shortcut again!!

For sea princess read Technotiger ... Cheers

wotbus@ 13:39 01 Jan 07

It's what they call an "easy internet" keyboard and you usually have to program the keys yourself ;-) For example, how does your k/b possibly know which home page to open when you press the www (browser) button?
Try going to Start > Programs and see if you have something like Logitech k/b or iTouch or some ref to your keybord. If so, open it and you will find the configuration details. If not, you must post the make of k/b for anyone to help ;-)

Belatucadrus 14:23 01 Jan 07

I've seen the Internet button get deactivated on a multi media keyboard when the system get confused over the identity of the default browser, but in that situation it usually stops working at all until the browser default issue is resolved, I've never seen it dependant on any other program. All I can suggest is try setting IE as the default browser for a bit then change back to FF.

wotbus@ 16:14 01 Jan 07

Hi Guys and a Happy New Year to all.
The www button on any k/b has to be programmed to a relative home page. It's possible it may default to MSN or something like (if it's a MS k/b) - but - the www button MUST be pointed to a home page via the k/b config, just as the Email button has to be pointed to the relative Email manager etc etc. No problem with the sound buttons as they stay the same, also Files and Explorer buttons if you have them. Web browsers and Email managers vary so the k/b must be told where to go if you hit the button ;-)

golfpro 17:53 01 Jan 07

I may have been a bit misleading in my post. The home page short cut Button for my browser works all the time, but only when I have another program opened. On a blank screen it does not function.
There is no name on the KB only "Made in China" on the bottom.

golfpro 18:03 01 Jan 07

"Hi, although you do not have software for your keyboard ... go to Start>Control Panel>Keyboard and then click on Keyboard to open, then simply close it again and also close Control Panel ... then try your shortcut again!!"

By the way I just tried this, and it seems to work. I will have to see if this continues on a fresh reboot tomorrow morning.

golfpro 07:51 02 Jan 07

No it didn't. Back to where I was before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now