keyboard problem - does not type letters

jarani 12:41 PM 28 Nov 12

my keyboard in some situations like now misses some letters unless pressed several times - do I need to replace it or is a pc problem please ?

lotvic 12:47 PM 28 Nov 12

Might be muck and dust. Turn keyboard upside down, shake and tap the debris out.

spuds 15:02 PM 28 Nov 12

I generally find that when keyboards start playing up, then its time for a change. Fortunately I buy 'cheapos' and they seem to last for years.

It might be worth trying lotvic's suggestion first, but be careful if there are any loose keys or parts. A quick search on YouTube will find tutorials on keyboard cleaning and key resetting.

Ian in Northampton 15:57 PM 28 Nov 12

I have it from more than one reliable source that you can put a keyboard through the dishwasher. I'm not saying I recommend it - only that I've heard it...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:35 PM 28 Nov 12

Striped and cleaned mine in the sink the other day. Unscrewed and top half only in the sink the bit with the buttons.

If its a wireless one it could be flat batteries or the receiver needs moving slightly closer.

Aitchbee 16:45 PM 28 Nov 12

The security program I'm using has a 'Virtual Keyboard' option ... you can click on an 'on-screen' keyboard (that never gets clogged up) :o) ... Kaspersky Antivirus is the name of it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:56 PM 28 Nov 12

Windows 7 virtual keyboard - click on "Start" (Windows-Logo) then, execute "osk.exe" and Press [ENTER]

Vista - Click the "Start" button and open the "Control Panel."

1. Select "Ease of Access Center" within the Control Panel by double-clicking it.

2. Choose "Start On-Screen Keyboard" from the common tools presented near the top of the next window to activate the on-screen keyboard any time you wish.

XP - Click the Start menu, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Accessibility, and then click On-Screen Keyboard to open On-Screen Keyboard.

To return to your document, place your cursor where you want to begin.

To close On-Screen Keyboard, click Close.

QuizMan 17:58 PM 28 Nov 12

Ian in Northampton - I have used the dishwasher method and it worked for me. Mind you, all I wanted to do was to clean out all the muck; it was working OK, just very grubby.

I used a spare keyboard that I had for the few days that I left it to dry.

Strawballs 22:53 PM 28 Nov 12

I had the same problem and just bought another USB basic keyboard from ASDA for £5

jarani 23:20 PM 28 Nov 12

Many thanks for all the ideas - will try

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites