Keyboard is not working properly

Papa goose 21:40 16 Jun 09

Hi all,

My wife was using the laptop when the battery went flat. After plugging it in and restarting the machine, certain keys have stopped working:
Both shift keys, 1,2 q,w,a,s,z,x. tab key,capslock,esc. The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5920, running Windows Vista Home Premium.
The only way I could get back to desktop was to set the laptop to 'on screen keyboard' at start up as the password has a 1 in it. I've checked regional settings and the format is English (UK), Location is UK, keyboard is UK. I tried a system restore via Accessories and that failed.

Any help gratefully received

Terminus90 01:57 17 Jun 09

right click on the 'my computer' icon and choose properties and device manager, on the hardware tab and uninstall the keyboard, then re-boot the laptop. Windows will recognise the keyboard and settings and it should work as new.

Papa goose 02:39 17 Jun 09

Thanks for the tip Terminus90, but sadly it didn't fix the problem. In Keyboardsthere are 4 listed:
Launch Manager
MS eHome MCIR 109
MS eHome MCIR
MS eHome Remote Controil Keyboard keys

Shoul I uninstall them all?

Cheers

birdface 09:41 17 Jun 09

Maybe use another keyboard and that may help until you get the laptop keyboard sorted.

birdface 09:43 17 Jun 09

Or maybe try the system restore in safe mode.[just keep tapping F8 as the laptop starts.]

Papa goose 09:47 17 Jun 09

Thanks buteman. The problem with the key board apparently is a common one with Acers, I took the CMOS battery lead of, wade a cuppa and voila, back in business. I had to reset the clock, which was simple, but have bee advised to check the BIos is set to 3813... but I haven't got a clue.

Can you help with that or should I start a new thread?

Many thanks

PG

Papa goose 09:48 17 Jun 09

The typo's there were all may own....doh

birdface 23:27 17 Jun 09

Sorry I stay clear of the bios so not sure what that setting does.Someone came up with a good idea of taking a photo all the bios settings using a mobile phone.never tried it but sounds like a good idea.

birdface 23:33 17 Jun 09

This looks like what you are looking for.but it does warn you about downloading it if you do not need to.

click here

Papa goose 07:03 18 Jun 09

Thanks for the help and the warning! I checked what the diff' is between the factory setting BIOS 3811, and the current Acer one 3813, and the answer is something to do with the graphics andt the temp settings, all to do with gameplay..... which I don't, it does reduces battery life though due to the longer running of the fans. The machine is running fine soall in all I think I'll leave it.

gazzaho 09:03 22 Jun 09

I'm guessing someone advised you to check that the version number of the BIOS is v1.3813, which from a look on Acer's website for the Acer Aspire 5920 seems to be the latest BIOS update, as opposed to the BIOS version number you are currently using 3811.

While this might fix the problem you had I would advise against updating or "flashing" as it's called the BIOS, if you get this procedure wrong, have a power cut while doing it or use the wrong file to update it then you can end up with an expensive and useless piece of metal and plastic.

I've updated the BIOS of computers a few times over the years and can say it's a nerve wrecking procedure as you're never sure if the machine will start after doing it.

buteman
I'm the one who advised taking pictures :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac