//some 3rd party need geo

Keyboard not typing properly!

Clueless101 17:36 13 Dec 03

The keyboard on my laptop is not inputting some of the keys I press and typing the wrong things on the screen eg. I type b and on the screen it says bn. Also some letters don't show up at all and the number keys don't work either. Caps lock and shift also don't work! The comp stared beeping a lot on startup and shut down and the number lock light wouldn't go off, but I seem to have resolved this by reinstalling ME And works suite. I can't reinstall word until this problem is fixed as I can't type the registration code!!I have checked that the language is set to the right thing.Please help :p

DieSse 17:42 13 Dec 03

Try another keyboard??

plsndrs3 17:51 13 Dec 03

Whilst I think DieSSe has hit the nail on the head, is the keyboard configured correctly? Have you checked the settings in System properties?. Can you attach another keybord to the PC & use that? It does sound like keys are sticking, key strokes are not being recognised so the keyboard is currently the prime suspect.

At least attaching another keyboard will check whether you have a software or keyboard problem ....

Regards,

Paul

Clueless101 18:00 13 Dec 03

ok, I've just tried another keyboard. While I can get the caps lock light to go on & off with this one, I still can't type any characters at all. This is also with the laptop keyboard as well now :( It won't even type wrong!

Clueless101 18:02 13 Dec 03

Also I have checked the settings in System properties and it says English UK

plsndrs3 18:08 13 Dec 03

"It won't even type wrong!"

Are you saying that the other keyboard works ok or not?

If it is OK, then your laptop keyboard is the issue. If not then there is something else wrong - possibly the OS or the settings.

Paul

VoG II 18:09 13 Dec 03

The laptop keyboard won't work if you've plugged in an external one?

Clueless101 18:10 13 Dec 03

The laptop keyboard won't type anything at all now either. Shall I try reinstalling windows again?

plsndrs3 18:20 13 Dec 03

Clueless101, just want to make sure of a couple of things before we consider reinstalling ME:

When you reinstalled ME [&, presumably, Works] you had to enter a registration - and the keyboard was OK then?

Paul

plsndrs3 18:21 13 Dec 03

Clueless101, just want to make sure of a couple of things before we consider reinstalling ME:

When you reinstalled ME [&, presumably, Works] you had to enter a registration - and the keyboard was OK then?

Paul

Clueless101 18:26 13 Dec 03

I re-installed ME with the disc that Dell gave me, and then un installed and re-installed work suite. It was when I tried to install Microsoft Word that I realised the keyboard wasn't working because I can't type the registration code to let Word install.
Before I did all this, as I said, the laptop went weird and kept beeping alot on start up and close down, went into safe mode a few times and the number lock light wouldn't go off, which is why I decided to re-install ME.

Thanks for your help Paul :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…