Keyboard and mouse problem at startup

Rhuddlan 15:49 05 Jan 05

Hi Everyone, when the log on screen appears the keyboard and mouse won't work, but after restarting the comp there fine. This is the second time it has happened, it happened yesterday afternoon and now this afternoon, I have to force *!@: the comp down, which I don't like doing!!! Any ideas anyone, Rhuddlan.

Technotiger 16:06 05 Jan 05

Hi, more info please - what OS etc. Also is your mouse/keyboard wireless?

What's with the *!@: ? Respectfully suggest you ask for copy of FE's Guide to using the Forum.

Still wanna help though, if I can. Cheers

Rhuddlan 16:16 05 Jan 05

Hi there, I have windows XP Home edition, I have a packard bell i design 170+ and a wireless logitech keyboard and mouse. Sorry about that symbol, it was done by accident, can u help me?

Technotiger 16:28 05 Jan 05

Hi again, I would strongly suspect the wireless keyboard/mouse setup. Might simply need new batteries, or it could be a loose connection or connections almost anywhere. Your fault seems to indicate either of these two things.

Cheers.

Belatucadrus 16:30 05 Jan 05

Sounds like a communication problem, the PC isn't picking up the keyboard during boot. I used to have an old cable connect keyboard that did this at irregular intervals. Fitted a new one and the problem vanished. As you've got wireless kit swapping it may not be the desired option, checking the batteries would appear to be the simplest thing to try.

THE TERMINATOR 17:02 05 Jan 05

Or you could try deleting these two items from device manager, restart and let XP recognise the hardware and install the drivers again....TT

hatrickj 18:44 05 Jan 05

I occasionally have same problem with my optical wired mouse. A relative well versed in IT made a similar suggestion to Belatucadrus. he also suggested that if I was using a connection via ( I think he said)additional card that might do the trick. I haven't tried it yet. Also I find that just jiggling with the usb connector cures it for a long time.

Rhuddlan 22:48 06 Jan 05

I have replaced both batteries in the keyboard and mouse and still the same thing happens, will try and uninstall drivers from device manager and let windows reinstall them and hopefully this will solve the problem!!!

Rhuddlan 00:27 07 Jan 05

Well I went into device manager and uninstalled the drivers for the keyboard and mouse and both stopped working, so I had to force shut the comp down and I thought when it restarted Windows would automactially install the drivers again, but nothing happened. At startup they both worked fine and windows didn't detect any new hardware or ask me to install any drivers, I searched for new drivers but none where found, any other ideas, apart from purcashing a new wireless keyboard and mouse, as I said earlier I have changed the batteries in both.

Rhuddlan 15:32 07 Jan 05

I think that solved the problem, switched my comp off last night and put it this afternoon and all seems fine, hopefully it stays that way, thanks for everyone's help and a happy new year!!

THE TERMINATOR 20:35 07 Jan 05

I am glad your devices are working....TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…