Keyboard and mouse problem

Rhuddlan 20:17 25 Mar 04

A friend of mine has a packard bell i think it is a i media model with win ME and when she switched her computer on earlier today, the keyboard and mouse didn't seem to work. The Num and Caps lock lights were on, but no buttons including the power button would work, so she could'nt log on, she has taken them out of their USB slot and put them in different ones, but still they don't seem to work, anyone got any suggestions for a desprate friend of mine?

ade.h 20:52 25 Mar 04

Does anything else work thru' USB, ie. a printer? If not, then the USB driver is probably not loading. Check in Device Manager (right-click My Computer, choose Properties and hit the Device Manager button found under the Hardware tab at the top.) If there is a yellow triangle next to the USB controller, double-click on it and use the Driver tab on the next box that appears to uninstall the driver. Reboot and Windows should recognise a new hardware device and install a driver for it. Then you may want to look for an update via click here or the website for your friend's motherboard manufacturer.

If USB is okay, then connect the mouse and k/board to the PS2 sockets via USB to PS2 adapters. This should have come with the peripherals, but can be sourced from a good PC store.

Rhuddlan 21:12 25 Mar 04

She can't access device manager, because she can't get past the logon screen at startup

ade.h 21:34 25 Mar 04

Of course - sorry! I forgot to suggest using the PS2 sockets as your first experiment. remember to power down, including the mains power, before you connect to PS2; unlike USB it's not hot-swappable.

A third possibility is to check that USB devices are enabled in BIOS - using a PS2 k/board connection (since USB drivers are only loaded by Windows and would not be active yet even if it IS working) press delete when prompted just after switching on and when the BIOS screen appears (it's usually blue) select Integrated Peripherals; in this section, Onboard USB Controller and USB Keyboard Support via OS should both be enabled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…