keyboard and mouse not recognized

eysha 11:35 AM 17 Dec 08

Hi, i need a bit of help please.
My computr won't recognize my keyboard and mouse and i have no idea why. How can i fix this as i know both work okay?
Thanks in advance
E.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:02 PM 17 Dec 08

Type of keyboard and mouse?

PS2 / USB cable /USB Wireless

Will BIOS not see it and it works in windows or does it not work in BIOS or windows?

eysha 12:16 PM 17 Dec 08

I assume they are both PS2, purple and green connections that fit in to the back of the computer.
at startup the computer tells me there is no keyboard or mouse connected and there is.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:35 PM 17 Dec 08

That usually means the PS2 fuse has gone on the motherboard, non replaceable I'm afraid.

A USB keyboard and mouse will work from within windows.
Just hope the USB legacy is set in BIOS and you can plug in a USB keyboard and mouse that will work before Windows loads

eysha 12:40 PM 17 Dec 08

I was attempting to put an operating system on, which I haven't managed to do yet because of the none keyboard and mouse thing. could it be something in the bios? if not does this mean i have to buy a new keyboard and mouse to install and get it working again?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:43 PM 17 Dec 08

PS2 fuse has gone on the motherboard, non replaceable I'm afraid.

therefore a new keyboard and mouse will make no difference.

I doubt both keyboard and mouse failed at the same that's why I suspect the motherboard.
Do not attempt to plug / unplug PS2 while PC is switched on, this is what usually blows the fuse.

Have you tried another PS2 keyboard or a USB keyboard?

If your really lucky then its a glitch in the BIOS and resetting the BIOS to default by using the clear BIOS jumper or by removing the CMOS battery for 10 minutes may solve the problem.
BUT resetting BIOS will definitely mean USB legacy is Disabled and therefore a USB keyboard will not work either.

harry12 13:49 PM 17 Dec 08

If mouse/keyboard were installed after powering up this could be problem as they will only be recognised at startup.

eysha 14:01 PM 17 Dec 08

Fruitbat, no i haven't got another keyboard and mouse to try and there seems no point in going out to buy them now. from what you are saying it looks like the whole computer is now no good - is that right?

Harry12 they were already installed at startup.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:11 PM 17 Dec 08

Its certainly not looking good, can you borrow one?

What are you typing on now?

eysha 14:51 PM 17 Dec 08

Have borrowed a laptop.
i switched the computer back on and it says;
secondary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed.
keyboard error or no keyborad present.

does that make sense Fruitbat?
what do i do now?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:04 PM 17 Dec 08

secondary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed.

Old PC?
80 wire IDE cable click here not really a problem

keyboard error or no keyborad present
its possible the keyboard is faulty (try another £2) or as previuosly discussed.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…