keyboard and mouse freeze

Carafaraday 13:04 22 May 03

Windows 98. Keep getting keyboard and mouse freeze. No way of shutting down properly. Any suggestions which would avoid seeing the dreaded Scandisk on re-entry would be appreciated.

PA28 14:27 22 May 03

You have a nasty conflict here! Does the keyboard work without the mouse connected? If so, suggest that you boot up without mouse and then remove the mouse through Device Manager (you'll be using the ALT key a lot here in combination with underlined ltters in the menu screens). Reconnect mouse and reboot and see if re-detection does it.

You don't say what your configuration and connections are but I am presuming that both Mouse and Keyboard are PS2 plug and sockets (in which case don't forget to shutdown before plugging and unplugging as PS2 is not hot-swappable). If you have a serial mouse, make sure that PS2 is not enabled in your BIOS (and vice versa). Might also be worth checking that your machine is not expecting connection via USB - although that might be a quicker (temporary) answer to your problem whilst you investigate. USB is not recommended as a permanent solution as the drivers won't load in safe mode if you have to use it - and you'll be as stuck as you are now!

Failing the above - supply us with your configuration, any recent changes or events that could have caused the problem, and precise symptoms that occur and when they occur. Then we can all head scratch on your behalf.

Carafaraday 14:41 22 May 03

I think this may only happen when the monitor shuts down, or when screensaver comes on - and then only intermittently. Only new thing today is a McAfee DAT update. The system is regularly defragged. Windows 98. Logitech cordless optical mouse.

I really hate that blue scandisk screen and its smug reminder 'in order not to see this screen again remember to always shut using the start menu'!

BigMoFoT 14:46 22 May 03

It could be your motherboard?? When it freezes does the time continue to change? If not then I doubt it's a confllict of any kind!

Carafaraday 14:55 22 May 03

I'm pretty sure that the clock does continue to change although to be honest I haven't ever noticed. Certainly the time is accurate at the moment which would indicate that it has kept going? Will definitely look next time.

Carafaraday 15:57 22 May 03

Not sure how to 'check the BIOS' - I am embarrassed to admit that I don't even know what it is and where to find it. The cordless mouse is on PS/2 port - not sure about the keyboard. At the moment, as you can tell, both are working well, but if one goes, both go.

woodchip 16:18 22 May 03

Try this right click on your desktop choose properties\Settings\Advanced\Performance Try the acceleration slider down one notch at a time to see if it stopes it try comp after each notch dropped

Carafaraday 18:34 24 May 03

I have't changed anything but have had no similar problem for the last 48 hours. Problem sorted - who knows why?!

PA28 17:36 25 May 03

Pass - sounds like perhaps a dodgy connection or - dare I say - a software conflict on a program that's not being used at the moment. Just keep an eagle eye when it next occurs; what did you do that you hadn't done for a while?! I wonder if the fact that your mouse is cordless has anything to do with your problem - if you get it again it might be worth trying a conventional PS2 mouse. In the meantime, while you're up and running, have a look in Device Manager (right click on My Computer>Properties>Device Manager and check that you haven't got any ! or ? displayed. Faults without a pattern are the worst to trace!

Your BIOS is the program that your computer uses to tell it what it's working with in terms of hardware - you get to it by watching the prompts when you first boot up - usually you hit the del key to get in. Don't mess with it while all's well, particularly if you're unsure.

You can tell if your keyboard is PS2 as it'll be connected by a plug very similiar to your mouse - and the socket will probably be alngside your mouse. Almost certainly it is.

Carafaraday 08:42 26 May 03

Thanks for your interest and your comments - I suspect McAfee is the culprit but it has only happened once in the last 3 days, so I think I can live with it.

I had a peek at the BIOS, and retreated rapidly. Far too scary a place for the likes of me. I also checked Device Manager, but there were no strange symbols.

Thanks again for your comments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…