keyboard and mouse don't work

fullywired23 12:35 13 Jun 05

Hi everyone

I have a friend in France ,who phoned me today with a problem that has stumped me
According to him he went out and during his absence there was a thunderstorm and Now when he turns on his Computer it boots straight to Windows without a POST and the keyboard and mouse don't work ,I assume he means frozen
He says he can't get into setup or start in safe mode .He says he has put the recovery disc in but it boots straight through to windows
Has any one any ideas please bearing in mind he can't use keyboard or mouse
He is running WinXP and the mobo is a Shuttle MK35vn and the chip is AMD200/66
any ideas would be appreciated

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:43 13 Jun 05

"He says he has put the recovery disc in but it boots straight through to windows"

First boot device is probably set to HDD in the BIOS

Type of KB and Mouse? PS2, USB, wireless?

The fact that is sill booting means the PC isn't fried maybe just some corrupt files on the Harddrive Needs to try a repair of XP

Maybe try a different type of keyboard to start the repair. In XP tpye sfc /scannow in run box with XP CD in drive

fullywired23 14:37 13 Jun 05

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/

My friend has phoned again and said he has solved the problem .it was to do with reduced power through his surge protector.he has put his mouse into another USB plug and tried another key board .but that doesn't explain the none Post ,However he is happy so that's ok .
Thanks for your reply ,I was on the point of phoning him and telling him to disconnect the hard drive ,that would stop it booting to windows and allow him to get into setup ,he then could alter the boot sequence to cd-rom. He then could attempt a repair with his disc.

However alls well that ends well

thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…