Keyboard locks up

ttmiller01 05:33 12 Aug 09

Hi,
I recently purchased a eee pc netbook 1005ha: 1.6ghz n280 atom processor, 160gb hd. And three times now I was using MS word or checking email and the keyboard completely locks up. Absolutely no keys function; the only resolve is to power off the machine and reboot it. The first two times this happened i was only running word, the second time, i was checking my email via firefox. (I dont know if this makes a difference). Any ideas on what might be the source of this problem and how to resolve it? Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Technotiger 07:23 12 Aug 09

Try pressing Fn key and Spacebar, to change Modes.

Or - press F9 three times to invoke the built-in Quick Recovery.

Also make sure Touchpad button is not set to Off.

ttmiller01 14:56 12 Aug 09

Thanks for your response tech. I will try your suggestions when it locks up again (it is working now). I've checked the touchpad and it was on, but the unresponsiveness when the computer is in the frozen mode, is not limited to the touchpad, its the entire keyboard, save the power button. Last night, sometime after my posting it happened again. I waited and I just ran my fingers over all the keys...something happened and it regained functionality.

I've hit the fn key and spacebar, now and all that does is changes the power saving settings...and the f9 key didn't do anything either. Perhaps because it is working fine now? Is there something i'm inadvertently pressing to cause this to happen? I've never had this problem and this is a new comp.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:49 12 Aug 09

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Technotiger 16:51 12 Aug 09

I have not got a netbook PC, so can't really go into much detail - I would expect you to have access to a full users manual though, or something similar - possibly on disk?

Running your fingers over it, might have re-set a Key Combination, but now I would only be guessing.

Technotiger 16:52 12 Aug 09

Hi, don't think so, nice new Notebook, only just come on the market!

ttmiller01 15:09 14 Aug 09

Thanks again for your ideas. I dont think its an overheating issue or that has to do with power surges. I was using the battery each time this happened. It could be the drivers that you mentioned, but i'm not a computer savy person so i have no idea what this means. I called asus technical support, who suggested that it might be a virus; but its been protected by kaspersky before I even went online when i got the computer last month. Her suggestion is to do a system recovery. I really would like to avoid this. I finally thought it was the filter keys option, I disabled that, but it happened again. This time the "fix" seemed to be putting the computer on stand by by shutting down the lid and then resuming. Does this offer any clues to anything? Just wondering.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…