Keyboard Language

Ted-319069 23:51 10 Jun 05

The following is repeat of that which I put in 'Consumer Watch' in error!

After reinstalling ME I find that the keys '@' and '"' have been transposed! In attempting to switch from 'English (American)' to 'English (British)' through 'Keyboard/properties/language I am informed that the file 'kbduk.kbd' is missing?
Can anyone advise please.
Thanks
Loftycapn

Strawballs 00:55 11 Jun 05

Have you tried changing the language in control panel> regional and language options.

Taff36 13:25 11 Jun 05

If you installed from a disk can you search for it on the disk and locate it. If so we stand a chance of copying it to the right location on your computer. Have a go and post back.

Taff36 13:29 11 Jun 05

It`s in the Win_19.CAB file. So you will have to copy that file to your hard drive. Open it with Winzip, I think, and then extract that file only. You can then delete the file from your drive. Now all we need to know where it goes in the system!

Ted-319069 22:06 11 Jun 05

Many thanks 'Strawballs' - Regional settings OK but still no joy!

Taff36 - Found the file (above) and in win_19CAB as you suggested but this is already on the hard drive under C:\WINDOWS Whence from here???
Many thanks to date
Loftycapn

Taff36 22:19 11 Jun 05

OK. Try this. Firts of all we want to enable view all files and I don`t have an ME machine to hand so try this. In Windows Explorer (Windows Key + E)click on the <Tools> tab, <Folder Options…>, <View>, check <Show Hidden files and folders>, and un-check <Hide protected operating system files>. Then go to the C drive and search for all files (CTRL key + F) Type in *.kbd in the file name. I want to check where all the other kbd files are, particularly the US one the keyboard is using at the moment.

If they are in the folder you mention fine. The file may have become corrupted in which case copy the one off the CD to replace the existing one in the correct directory. I hope there`s no special way that this has to be done at set up but we`ll worry about that later.

BEN MARSHALL 09:06 12 Jun 05

is the key board its self american if so might be the hardware!!

Taff36 09:30 12 Jun 05

Good thinking, we`ve overlooked that! Remind me how we would know by just looking at it please - I`ve never owned one.

Ted-319069 09:55 12 Jun 05

Hi Taff36
Your previous missive re: Win_19.CAB did the trick.
I did a successful search for this folder and on opening found the missing file (kbduk.kbd) among loads of very similar.
Back to the Control Panel>Keyboard and again entered the language for English (British) but this time when 'file not found' appeared I went to Browse and opened the following explorer folders:
C:\ > WINDOWS > OPTIONS > CABS and the missing file appeared(?) Clicked OK and had to then restart the PC. Result AOK
Again, thanks to all
Loftycapn

Taff36 10:24 12 Jun 05

That`s the right location. So you didn`t have to copy anything over then?

Ted-319069 18:50 12 Jun 05

Taff36
No copying necessary - thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…