Keyboard keys not working

Bike-it 18:18 20 Dec 10

I have a Dell laptop which runs vista but after the latest updates from Microsoft on Saturday a lot of the keys on the keyboard are not working, most of the keys that are not working are on the left hand side of the keyboard, anyone here know if there are any problems regarding this?
If so anyone know how to fix it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:26 20 Dec 10

click here

Roll back the updates

mooly 18:31 20 Dec 10

Have you looked in control panel and windows updates to see the "KB" number of suspect update and googled that.

System restore might be worth a try... by default a restore point should have been made just before installing the updates.

Bike-it 18:36 20 Dec 10

I cannot uninstall any updates as i have to enter my password and some of the keys i need are not working

Sea Urchin 18:50 20 Dec 10

Why do you need a password to uninstall updates?

tullie 18:51 20 Dec 10

Can you type osk in run command to bring up the on screen keyboard?

Bike-it 20:46 20 Dec 10

I can only log onto the computer as a guest, so any changes that i go to do like uninstall updates it tells me i need to be logged on as an administrator, i cannot do this as i cannot use some of the keys i need.
I cannot type osk.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:11 20 Dec 10

boot to safe mode and retry to log on

Bike-it 21:16 20 Dec 10

I can get into advanced boot options mode but the up and down arrow keys are not working so i cannot select safe mode

HWJC 17:22 21 Dec 10

If I'm not mistaken, on the login screen there's an icon that you can reach using the mouse that allows you to bring up the on-screen keyboard. Does that not work?

On the other hand, I don't know what update causes one side of the keyboard to stop functioning. I'd suggest this was merely a coincidence and investigate blowing out junk from under the keypad. I would also interrogate anyone else using the machine whether there'd been a liquid spill on the keyboard. Your symptoms are far more typical of that than a faulty update.

In which case it's an expensive repair unfortunately.

HWJC 17:25 21 Dec 10

Alternatively, go to Start\All Programs\Accessories\Ease of Access\On-Screen Keyboard

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…