Keyboard Failure?

Jackcoms 09:33 14 May 04

I’m running a Dell Dimension 8200 with Windows XP and a Dell multi-function USB keyboard.

For several weeks now at start-up and before Windows loads I get a message “Keyboard Failure. Press F1 to continue. Press F2 to run set up”.

In many respects the message is nonsense because if the keyboard HAS failed pressing any key would produce precisely nothing!

In fact pressing F1 and F2 DOES produce nothing but, if I then re-start the PC, a message saying “Keyboard failure” briefly appears (nothing about pressing keys this time) and boot up then takes place normally.

I can then use the PC and keyboard normally with no problems.

I’ve tried moving the keyboard to different USB ports. I’ve un-installed and re-installed the keyboard’s multi-function software (DellTouch) but all to no avail.

Any ideas, please?

woodchip 09:59 14 May 04

Yes try a new keyboard a cheap one about £4 if windows sees a problem there more than likely is one

€dstowe 11:07 14 May 04

This is possibly caused by Windows searching for a keyboard before the USB drivers have loaded.

It is far better for a keyboard to be connected through the PS/2 port - it then functions through the BIOS drivers and doesn't rely on Windows.

Jackcoms 11:37 14 May 04

Woodchip/€dstowe

Thanks for your comments. The keyboard is connected to the USB port via 2-way USB hub which it shares with my ADSL modem.

Do USB keyboards perhaps prefer to have a USB port all to themselves? The only other (convenient) port I have is occupied by a USB scanner.

woodchip 12:01 14 May 04

I would suggest you get a USB/PS/2 converter plug, you can get these at a comp fair

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…