keyboard error

guzzunda 19:16 16 Dec 10

every so often when i turn my computer on i can tell by the sound it makes that windows isnt going to load properly. i have just spend 30 mins turning it off and on again and it will eventually start up.i get a message saying "keyboard error or no keyboard present keyboard is locked out unlock the key".the fan at the back of the computer also doesn`t run when i get this problem.does anyone know whats going on ?.

mgmcc 20:38 16 Dec 10

It could be a failing power supply unit. If it's the power supply's fan that isn't running when you have the keyboard issue, the motherboard may not be getting power to run the keyboard's port (USB or PS/2) and thus the BIOS indicates that there is no keyboard present.

I am Spartacus 20:40 16 Dec 10

Possibly the PSU failing. Have you another one you can try? As a matter of course I'd also replace the BIOS battery after noting all the BIOS settings. Often if the battery is failing you get problems with the time settings though.

guzzunda 21:54 16 Dec 10

makes sense now . i will try another power supply.

guzzunda 21:43 06 Jan 11

i took another psu to the shop looking at my computer. he tested it in front of me and his tester showed a fault on it but the computer it came from worked fine. could i have a problem with the motherboard.any ideas ?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced