key has broken from my laptop keyboard

tech_princess 18:59 15 Aug 10

My cat jumped on my laptop and as a result two of my keys which were already loose before, one of them has broken and one of them has just popped out. what do i do? i dont want to replace my whole keyboard because other keys are working fine.pls help.

Clapton is God 19:04 15 Aug 10

The first, and most important, thing to do is to strangle the cat to prevent the same thing happening again.

birdface 19:06 15 Aug 10

If still under warranty send it back for repair.

birdface 19:08 15 Aug 10

Cant really help.
But if you give us the make and model number of your laptop we may find something to help.
They can be replaced individually.

birdface 19:20 15 Aug 10

A rough idea as to how.
But some laptops have different fittings.

click here

I am sure someone will be able to give you the proper advice.

six-h 19:42 15 Aug 10

When you say one is broken, it may not be, it might just be that the "pantograph" style clip has seperated into it's two pieces.
It can be put back together, but you need to study the other complete ones on your particular Keyboard.
These are pictures I took of mine when I was in need !
click here
click here
click here

six-h 19:52 15 Aug 10

If the one that has just "popped out" looks similar to my pic of the gap in my Kb, then you need to ensure that the clips are lying flat, then put your keycap in place over the clip allowing the top edge of the cap to rest on the clip whilst holding the lower edge up at a slight angle.
When you can see it is correctly aligned, press the lower half of the cap down firmly onto the clip until it snaps into place.
The trick is to be firm but gentle ;-)

onthelimit 21:51 15 Aug 10

What, the cat?

thimba786 21:23 16 Aug 10

Hi, it only happened once and a friend had told me to consult this site click here. Check it out!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…