Keeps rebooting after installing Service Pack 2

mickbutler01 09:12 08 Apr 06

Hi, I've recently installed an ASUS K8U-X motherboard, which works fine, but if I install SP2 the computer keeps rebooting before XP starts.When I uninstall SP2 everything works fine.I've been in touch with Microsoft but the solution they gave me, I had already done.Any suggestions?

Regards
Mick

Diodorus Siculus 09:36 08 Apr 06

What did MS suggest? I'd suggest something along the lines of a bios upgrade being necessary but am not sure.

mickbutler01 10:50 08 Apr 06

All Microsoft Tech help suggested,was to to do a reformat and clean install before loading my other software, but as I already done that twice!! it obviously wasn't the answer.

gudgulf 11:11 08 Apr 06

When SP2 was released there were some problems to do with DEP (data execution prevention) and Athon 64 bit cpus.Continual rebooting or crashing with a blue screen was the result.

This is the workaround from Microsoft,it may be helpful click here

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:33 08 Apr 06

There was a registry fix supplied by Mesh, after installation of SP2 do not click reboot before installind the fix. Don't know if its still around on their site, but mat be what you need. I have a copy somewhere if you cannot find it.

ACOLYTE 13:11 08 Apr 06

Have you tried making a slipstream sp2 cd?

click here

mickbutler01 00:05 09 Apr 06

Thanks for all responding, won't have a chance to try any of the suggestions for a few days but will work my way through your suggestions and post a reply. Regards.

mickbutler01 08:38 11 Apr 06

With regard to my rebooting problem I've fixed it.I tried the fixes suggested by everybody but none worked so I reformatted the hard drive.After reinstalling XP I loaded SP2 and it worked,then I loaded Roxios GO BACK,after rebooting the problem started again, after uninstalling GO BACK the computer worked fine, so I'm assuming there was a conflict between SP2 and GO BACK.Thanks again to all who offered advice.

Diodorus Siculus 08:50 11 Apr 06

Seems you are on XP, there is no real need for GoBack I suppose; best to keep a regular backup routine in place too for security.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…