Keeping System Cool - Advise Wanted!

Dearersteak 21:10 14 Nov 03

Hi, I’m Dearer Steak,... You might remember me from such threads as "LED's and connects" and "Linux Knoppixs"

Ok, enough of my Simpson quotes...

Or a more serious note...

I'm now running a 2600+ 333Fsb AMD that i build only a few days ago. Here’s what I’ve got

2600+ AMD
Asus A7V8X-MX - click here
512Mb DDR
Cooler Master Aero 7 lite - click here

Basically... when I first put the parts together into, and run it, the idle temp was about 45C degrees. But after a few days, it’s at 50 when idle. Is that normal?

Secondly, when I Max’s the CPU out at 100% for a long time, the temp sneaks up to 53/54C.

I'm going to install a case fan tomorrow with any luck, with involves me cutting a hole in my case, as its an old case, and there’s no where else to mount one.

The other thing i wanted to ask was... its meant to be a 2.08Ghz... but in My Computer, its only coming up as 1.91Ghz. Any reason for this? Or is that normal?

Thanks all!

sil_ver 23:04 14 Nov 03

Temp is not unusual maybe a bit higher than norm. depends on the location of PC and cooling. Your 2600+ could be the 'Barton' which does run at about 1.92GHz.

leo49 23:10 14 Nov 03

The Aero Lite doesn't get a good press with several testers alleging a design fault which the 7+ version corrected. I've just built a 2800 with a 7+ cooler and the CPU temp hovers just below/just above 40C.

Dearersteak 10:44 15 Nov 03

well... like i say... i have a woping great 500W power supply thats got 2 fans, one on the back, and underneith just above the Heatsink/Fan.

But because its an old case that was build for a 600Mhz AMD, the airflow is'nt very impresive. There does'nt seem to be many places to get cool air in.

How about it i cut a hole in the side panel on the case, and mount a fan there? (am off to get a fan today)

Where about should i mount it? Above the North brige area? nearer the bottom? or over the Ram banks?

Thanks all...

fred 15:27 15 Nov 03

53/54 degrees is nothing to be worried about. My 2400 sits quite happily at 66 degrees all day running UD. No case fan used here to reduce noise.

hugh-265156 15:41 15 Nov 03
  Bris 20:15 15 Nov 03

Airflow can make quite a difference to temperatures inside the case. When fitting a new fan the orientation is important i.e. whether it is sucking air into the case or blowing it out. I have found that the best orientation seems to be to suck cold air into the bottom of the case and extract the hot air from the top. I assume that your power supply fans are extracting air from the top in which case try the new fan sucking air in from the bottom. You need to avoid a partial vacuum in the case by having all fans extracting (they just fight each other) or high pressure by having all fans sucking air in.

Dearersteak 19:52 16 Nov 03

OK,... Heres a follow up.

Went out, and brough a 80mm fan. Spent nearly an hour and a bit trying to cut the hole in the side panel to mount it, but go there in the end. Even finsihed it off with a nice little fan grill cover.

Here are the results.

CPU is now running a full 10 Degrees C cooler that before... And the MoBo again, is 10 degrees cooler too. have'nt tested this out at 100% work load, but am sure it would be cooler.

thanks to everyone who posted and gave there veiws

Green tick on the way

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…