Keeping same email account abroad

Happy37 15:27 26 Dec 06

Hi all

Relating to the “PC and voltage query” post, I have got another query.

If I was to relocate to the US in future, how would I be able to keep my same Virgin.net email address from here in the UK abroad in the US so that I could send and receive my emails from there?

How can this be done even if I will be initially be using someone else's DSL line to connect to the Web once I get there?

If, for example the person whose house that I will be going to uses AOL as their Internet provider, and I use Virgin.net as mine here in the UK, then how will this work in the US?

Is it at all possible for me to set the incoming mail server details in Outlook Express to my Virgin.net mail server details, and the outgoing mail server details to the AOL/US one?

Will this solution work?...if not, please let me know what else can be done so that I can still keep my same email address abroad, yet can send/receive emails using this account.

Please advise accordingly.

All replies welcome - please keep up the good work.

Regards

Happy37

anchor 15:41 26 Dec 06

I don`t know about Virgin, but most ISP`s require you to log in, directly via their connection, every so often. The time varies from 30 days to 90 days, depending on the ISP. Some even need it to be from the same telephone number you registered with initially. If the account is not used after the required period it is suspended, and your e-mail address would be lost.

Maybe someone has had personal experience and can advise you better.

namtas 15:59 26 Dec 06

Yes it should work, you will have to set up a new account for yourself.

your incomming email server (pop3) will look like pop3.virgin.net

Leave the original outgoing mail server (SMTP) as it is

Also consider obtaining a web based email address and then in addition you can access and send emails from any terminal any where in the world.

Happy37 16:00 26 Dec 06

Anyone else got any ideas, please?

Happy37 16:06 26 Dec 06

namtas

Thanks for your reply...so to summarise:-

My incoming mail server details would be ****.virgin.net as they are in the UK.

I would have to leave these as they are over here to be the same in the US.

For the outgoing mail server...I could leave that to whatever the mail server details are for the person whose DSL line and account that I will use to connect to the Web once I get there?

Is this correct? - please advise accordingly.

What do you mean by “you will have to set up a new account for yourself”???

Could I not use the same username/password details that I use here in the UK over there in the US?

Are there any other settings that I will have to change or apply in Outlook Express for this to work?

Please advise accordingly.

All replies welcome - please keep up the good work.

Regards

Happy37

p;3 16:22 26 Dec 06

'My opinion

I don`t know about Virgin, but most ISP`s require you to log in, directly via their connection, every so often. The time varies from 30 days to 90 days, depending on the ISP. Some even need it to be from the same telephone number you registered with initially. If the account is not used after the required period it is suspended, and your e-mail address would be lost.'

must admit that that is complete news to me; and, from many of the threads on here , when they are asked if they have recently checked their server for mail, some have not a clue how to do that; so, I am assuming (rightly or wrongly) that many members do not bother to check their server; on that basis,surely many of them would be losing their e mail addresses??

anchor 16:22 26 Dec 06

I still feel that you will eventually lose the account by not dialling direct every so often to Virgin, via your registered telephone number. They state that even if you move house in the UK, you have to register the new phone number.

They won`t keep it active if they are not getting any revenue from the telephone calls. To confirm this I suggest you contact Virgin customer support.

click here

anchor 16:43 26 Dec 06

p;3: Of course, I cannot positively affirm that the same rule applies with every ISP, but it is a common condition with PAYG accounts.

This, I think is typical, (taken from the Orange, previously Wanadoo, site). Some ISP`s state the time as 30 days.

"6.2 We reserve the right to suspend or terminate your use of the Services without notice if you do not connect to the Internet using the Member Services at least once in each period of 90 days".

lotvic 16:59 26 Dec 06

""Access your Virgin.net email account online from anywhere in the world with our Webmail service.."" click here

namtas 19:20 26 Dec 06

It may be as others say, and I obviously can not vouch for how virgin net will work or how any of it may interface in the USA. I may just be lucky on the one I have, but it works for me.

My ISP is NTL, and to save having to have a new email address (and I am on my third ISP now) I have used this method each time,
my email address is .....@.beeb.net and I set the incoming email server to "pop3.beeb.net"

I meant that you will have to create a new account that your server will work with, for log on information and user information use the setting as at home ie user id etc but you will leave the actual connection "connect to lan" or whatever it is as it is. When you want to use email make your set up the default. dont forget to change back when you have done

bluto1 23:07 26 Dec 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…