Keeping people off my computer....HELP!!

Beanie45 05:46 09 Feb 05

I have both a desk & Laptop computers.

But I don't know how to set it up to keep people from getting on it. You know, like when you first turn it on, and that "SIGN-IN" window pops up.

I want that to work, so I can keep em off.

I NEED it to were no one can crack into it, and open it.

octal 06:38 09 Feb 05

You can BIOS password it, most computers if you keep tapping the Delete key whilst its booting. Have a look in the menus and you will find there is somewhere to set the password. This password has to be typed in everytime the computer is switched on, remember you'll have to type it in to gain access to the BIOS, so don't forget it because its a real pain if you forget it!

end 07:50 09 Feb 05

or, as on mine ( win98se) go to control pannel, then either passwords or users , and change things from there, to set up specific users and passwords:)

Diodorus Siculus 07:52 09 Feb 05

Remember that it will never be 100% secure - a BIOS password as suggested will be your best bet.

Jeffers22 07:58 09 Feb 05

As D S and Octal say. Only the bios password is secure. All windows passwords do is log you on to a specific user or to a network. They can all be bypassed (Windows passwords) just by hitting return and whoever has turned your machine on enters as a guest or default user. Once in they can do pretty much as they desire. But, forget the bios password and you are in real trouble.

Beanie45 14:20 09 Feb 05

I REALLY like the idea of the bios password.

After I got my first reply for help, I spent hours last nite LOOKING how to set it up.

Couldn't find anything anywhere. So what I need is step by step instructions. Cause I'm not that good w/ computers.

And lets say I did go by the WINDOWS way, how could they get in w/ that password. I heard it can be done easy. But how?

FelixTCat 14:36 09 Feb 05

As soon as the computer starts to boot, press the delete key repeatedly as quickly as possible. The BIOS menu screen will pop up. Depending on the BIOS, the menus will be slightly different, but you will see an option for Password, Supervisor Password or something similar. Move to that option using the arrow keys and press Enter. Basically then follow the options and instructions.

Make sure that you use a password that you will remember and don't write it on a post-it and stick it on the screen:)

Exit the BIOS, making sure you use the Save option. The computer will reboot and should ask for the password.

The Win98 password system offers no security but XP can be made secure from visitors logging on quite easily. It doesn't ncessarily prevent someone booting with a boot disk and viewing data on the disks.

Beanie45 14:55 09 Feb 05

Both computers are Win.ME.....Does that make a difference?

Lets say I changed my mind and went the "Windows WAY" of locking people out. HOW can someone get into it...I'm not clear on that one!

Belatucadrus 15:07 09 Feb 05
  Storik 15:35 09 Feb 05

are easily bypassed by clearing the BIOS.

Windows passwords are somewhat safer.

ahem...... for your desktop, you could always use keyboard lock or hide the keyboard somewhere. (sorry)

Beanie45 15:48 09 Feb 05

OK....I'm getting all this help, which tickles me.

But w/ all these different answers and way's to go...the bottom line is I "NEED" to know "HOW" to "DO" it "BOTH WAYS", and if I have a "PROBLEM", HOW do I undo it!

Both by "BIOS" & "WINDOWS" - GETTING IN & SETTING-em up, and getting out , and back in again if I make a mistake.

I HOPE you know what I'm trying to say.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…