KEEPING OUTLOOK EXPRESS 6 ON FILE

23790954 21:40 12 Feb 04

As an elderly man who enjoys keeping his childrens/grandchildrens computers in good order, I would be obliged for help on the following matter. Whenever I format a hard-drive, I have to go through all the rigmarole of setting up their 'e' mail addresses on outlook express, manually. We all use Wind 98 SE which does not have its own back-up system, so is there any way that I can record their file Outlook Express 6 containing their 'e' mail data, onto a floppy disc, or cd, so that I can install it without having to do everything manually, thereby saving all data. Information on how to save the Outlook Express data, and how to reinstall it onto the hard-drive would be a great help. Thanks for any assistance given.

Diodorus Siculus 21:44 12 Feb 04

You can export the address book by opening it, choosing file, export, and then give it a name. Save to a floppy or CD.

I'm not sure how to save the emails themselves, but it can be done.

VoG II 21:47 12 Feb 04

click here and look at articles 309 to 311.

temp003 02:09 13 Feb 04

Double click My Computer, click View, Options, tick "Show All Files". Untick "Hide MSDOS extensions for file types that are registered". click OK.

Somwhere on your computer, say C:\, create a new folder called OE Backup. Double click the folder. In there create 3 new folders called Accounts, Address Book and Email.

Then open OE. For email account settings (including email address, password and other settings such as servers etc), click Tools, Accounts, Mail tab. Highlight the email account, then on the right, click export. When prompted to save the file, take the suggested name, but browse to the C:\OE Backup\Accounts folder, and save it there. It will be called [accountname].iaf. Repeat if you have more than one email account.

Then for address book, back in OE main window, top left, click File, Export, Address Book. Highlight Text file (comma separated values), then click Export. Browse to the C:\OE Backup\Address Book folder, and save it as address book.csv. Click Save. Click Next. Tick all the fields in the address book you want to save. Then click Finish.

To back up the emails in one go, close OE first. Then in My Computer, go (for Windows 98, OE6) to the folder C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities\{string of letters and numbers}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Inside you'll see the names of your Outlook Express mail folders (such as inbox, outbox etc), with the .dbx extension, plus a file called cleanup.log.

If the path given above is not right, just use Windows' Find function, put in .dbx, and find where they are, then go to the relevant folder.

Once you find the folder, highlight one of these files, then press Ctrl-A at the same time to select all of them. Then copy them and paste them to inside the C:\OE Backup\Email folder.

Then burn the entire "OE Backup" folder to CD. [You can also keep this folder on the computer, and update it as a regular backup.]

To restore all this stuff after a reinstall, copy the "OE Backup" folder on the CD back to C:\. Right click the "C:\OE Backup" folder, Properties, and untick the box for "Read Only", click OK, then tick apply changes to files and subfolders, click OK.

Then open OE. To restore mail account, Tools, Accounts, Mail tab, click Import, then browse to the saved [accountname].iaf file and follow the prompts.

To restore address book, slightly different. File, Import, OTHER address book, hightlight Text file (comma separated values), click Import, and browse to the address book.csv file, select the fields and follow the prompts.

To restore emails, click File, Import, Messages, highlight Microsoft Outlook Express 6, Next, tick the box for "Import mail from an OE6 store directory", click OK, then browse to the C:\OE Backup\Email folder (just the folder), and follow the prompts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…