keeping my WHOIS details private

mco 19:06 30 May 05

Hi - just wondering if there is a way to keep my domain registration details private to anyone looking up about my site. My address , phone number and email are there for all to see - never thought about it in advance! - if I can't hide them,is there a way I can change the details to another member of our society (who the site's for) who doesn't mind being 'public' and officially 'owning' our site?

phil 19:24 30 May 05

There should be some info about this, on the site you bought from, when you registered the name.

If not try looking in your Control Panel for something like this:

UK Whois Privacy

From December 1st 2002, Nominet, the registry for UK domain names, has made registrant address information public for new registrations and renewed domains.

This means that when you buy a new domain name or renew an existing domain name, your address will be visible on the publicly available Whois server.

The UK registry, Nominet, allows you to request that your personal contact details remain private and are not revealed on the whois server. If you wish to keep you contact details private, please select 'private' from the drop down list below, else select 'public'.

That's from the Easily site where my names are registered.

Once you find the page and activate your privacy it's then in the hands of Nominet and will take up to a week to change.

Forum Editor 00:19 31 May 05

I'm assuming that you have registered a .co.uk name, and that being the case you have a choice. By default, Nominet will publish your details in the WHOIS directory for all to see, and if you intend to publish a site that has any commercial connotation you must accept this. You may only select the privacy option if you will use the site for non-commercial purposes.

If you opt for privacy, and subsequently run a commercial site on the name Nominet reserve the right to publish your details without your consent, or even to remove your right to the domain name altogether.

It's best not to fight the system - Nominet have absolute power where the .co.uk high level is concerned. If you really can't face having your details published - and remember that very few people indeed will ever see the WHOIS record - you can always transfer the name to someone else in the organisation. The name must be registered to an individual by the way - domain names can't be registered to a corporate entity.

mco 17:58 31 May 05

My site (which I registered last December) is an org site (non-profit)for a society but registered in my personal name cos I built it. How do you transfer to another person?

Sir Radfordin 18:01 31 May 05

There doesn't seem to be anything in the rules on Nominets site saying that a corporate entity can't be the registered owner of a domain. As Fourm Member has observed most commercial websites are registered to the company and not an individual working for them.

In the case of mco I can see no reason why you don't register the domain in the name of the organisation and use their administrative address.

If Ben Cohen is to be believed then the "absolute power" of Nominet may not be so absolute as we all think... click here

mco 18:01 31 May 05

to Phil: nowhere in my webhost's control panel is there the option for privacy - but I'm guessing from what others have said that it's because I am not a co.uk but an org

Forum Editor 22:38 31 May 05

I'm sorry - I've caused confusion, and it's my fault.

mco asked if "there is a way to keep my domain registration details private to anyone looking up about my site" from which I deduced that we were talking about a name registered to an individual non-trader. My comment about a 'corporate entity' was wrong in that context, and of course I know that names may be registered to companies - I'm a web hosting reseller, and deal with such names on a daily basis.

To clarify:-

Only non-trading individuals are able to opt-out of having their address details shown on the WHOIS record. Non-trading individuals are defined as registrants who are not businesses and who are not using or intending to use their domain name in the course of a business, trade or profession. These people may not opt out without running the risk of losing their registration, and it's surely not worth taking that risk - small as it undoubtedly is.

As far as Ben Cohen is concerned, let's just say that he has a particular beef with Nominet, and that it's a long-running thing. Despite threatening legal action for some time he hasn't actually done anything about is as far as I know. I can't comment on the strength of his case against Nominet, because I don't know all the facts. My view is that it's simply not worth taking a chance where a valuable asset is concerned - play by Nominet's rules and you'll be OK. The company has been transformed over the last few years - very much for the better as far as I'm concerned - and at last we seem to have an efficient, easy to understand and secure system for name registration in the .uk high level. That hasn't always been the case.

Sorry if I mislead you, mco. Put it down to too much Red Bull in the early hours.

Forum Editor 21:23 01 Jun 05

You must complete a domain name transfer form, which you get direct from Nominet.

Either email them: [email protected]

Or Fax them: 01865 332295

Or write to them:

Nominet UK,

Sandford Gate,

Sandy Lane West,

Oxford,

OX4 6LB.

Make sure that you tell them which domain name you are transferring and provide them with your name and postal address so they can send you the transfer documents.

You'll be charged £30 for the transfer by the way.

mco 23:42 01 Jun 05

thanks everyone!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…