Keeping earlier system restore point on XP?

Roadgiant 08:23 17 Jan 04

I was wondering if there is any way of keeping a specific early system restore point available? My system (with 120GB hdd) has restore points going back about 4 months. I understand from reading other posts :-

"depending on the ammount of disk space allocated to system restore,it will start over writing previous restore points when the limit is reached"

Is it possible to keep one particular restore point even though later ones are overwritten as new points are created? Someone told me that if you create a restore point yourself rather than let the system create its own that point will remain,while other automatic points are deleted,can anyone confirm this?
Thanks in advance RG

Andsome 08:28 17 Jan 04

Unfortunately, I have found that XP 'System Restore', sometimes works and sometimes does not. On occasions I have deliberately created a restore point before trying out a program. When the program has not uninstalled cleanly, I have tried to restore, only to find that it will not work. Sometimes it works, and other times it doesn't.

Roadgiant 16:30 17 Jan 04

Touch wood, up to now system restore has worked every time I have used it,but I would still like to get the answer to the oriinal question.

spikeychris 16:43 17 Jan 04

"Someone told me that if you create a restore point yourself rather than let the system create its own that point will remain,while other automatic points are deleted"..fraid not.

Only way is to create a system backup.

Roadgiant 17:30 17 Jan 04

Thanks once again for helpfull reply
RG

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…